Genuki Logo Norfolk Welcome   Contents and Search

Norfolk: Gateley

William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845

[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]

GATELEY parish, 7 miles N. by W. of East Dereham, has 129 souls, and 1,504A. 3R. 35P. of land. Lord Sondes is lord of the manor, but Robt. Mitford, Esq., Mr. Elgar, and a few others have estates here.

The Church (St. Helen,) is a vicarage, consolidated with the rectory of Brisley, as noted at page 329 [which is the entry for Brisley]). The great tithes belong to Christ's College, Cambridge. They were commuted in 1840, for £203, and the vicarial tithes, for £142 per annum.

The Town Land is 6A. 1R.; and the Poor's Land, 2A. 2P. The latter is let for £2. 10s., and was let [left?] by Robert King, in 1697.

Directory:-

	Mitford   Robt., Esq.    Hall

	Hawes     Wm.            cooper
	Hawes     Thomas         blacksmith

	   farmers

	Chambers  Wm. Ord
	Elgar     Chas.
	Griggs    Money
	Howell    Robert and Wm.

See also the Gateley parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
January 2002