See Norfolk Parish Links
for more information about this parish.
Search Genuki Norfolk for a NAME or a PLACE or a TOPIC.
What's New in Genuki Norfolk.
Gasthorpe is about 7 miles S.E. of Thetford.
It is also known as Gatesthorpe.
For church and cemetery records see also Riddlesworth.
See Norfolk Parish Links: Cemeteries
See also Norfolk Parish Links: Censuses
- In 1883 the parish was in the
Deanery of Rockland, in the archdeaconry of Norfolk.
It could have been in a different deanery or archdeaconry both
before and after this date.
- The parish church is dedicated to St Nicholas, but it has been in
ruins since before 1845.
Its rectory was consolidated with Riddlesworth in 1681.
Blomefield said that, in 1736, the church had an aisle, chancel and tower,
and there were services once a fortnight.
Nearby Churches of all denominations.
- Church of St Nicholas
- Description and pictures of the ruins.
See also Norfolk Parish Links: Church Records
- King, Graham Loveday
- Riddlesworth with Gasthorpe Parish Registers.
Baptisms 1686-1840, Marriages 1688-1840, Burials 1686-1840.
[Transcript in Norwich Local Studies Library, 2010]
- Parish Register Transcripts
- Baptisms 1813-1880 for Riddlesworth with Gasthorpe
- These are included in
Boyd's Marriage Index.
They are not included in Phillimore's Marriage Registers.
For the civil registration of births, marriages and deaths between 1837
and 1902 (and for the censuses of 1851 to 1901), Gasthorpe was in
Guiltcross Registration District.
This district was abolished on 1st April 1902 and, from then until 1930,
Gasthorpe was in
Thetford Registration District
for civil registration.
See also Norfolk Parish Links: Civil Registration
Description and Travel
See Norfolk Parish Links: Description and Travel
See also Norfolk Parish Links: Directories
Gasthorpe is in Guiltcross Hundred.
- Parish outline and location.
- See Parish Map for Guiltcross Hundred
- Description of Guiltcross Hundred
- 1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
Land and Property
See also Norfolk Parish Links: Land and Property
- Land Tax
- Principal property owners and occupiers, and the amounts paid.
- Modern and Historical Maps
- Maps of the parish.
See also Norfolk Parish Links: Military Records
- Roll of Honour for Riddlesworth and Gasthorpe
- World War 1.
Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc
These figures are from the population tables which were produced after the
10-yearly national censuses. The "Families" heading includes families and
|1801|| 8||10|| 51|
There may be more people living in detached parts of the parish (if there
were any) and, if so, the number may or may not be included in the figures
above. It is quite difficult to be sure from the population tables.
- 1841 and 1851 Censuses
- "Gasthorpe having no church is united with Riddlesworth for
- 1861 Census
- "GUILTCROSS. The decrease of population in most of the parishes
of this District is attributed partly to the migration of
labourers to towns and manufacturing districts. In some parishes
it has also been consequent upon the failure of hand-loom
Other population figures
See Norfolk Parish Links: Voting Registers
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and
the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web
pages. Please see the
Copyright © Pat Newby.