[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
GARVESTON, commonly called Garston, is a small village and parish on the Hingham road, near Thuxton railway station, 5 miles S.S.E. of East Dereham, in Mitford hundred, Mitford and Launditch union and petty sessional division, East Dereham county court district, Norwich bankruptcy district, Dereham polling district of South Norfolk, Hingham rural deanery, and Norfolk archdeaconry. It had 336 inhabitants in 1881, living on 802 acres of a rateable value of £1086 15s.
Richard Grigson, Esq., is lord of the manor, but the soil belongs chiefly to the Rev. Henry E. Lombe and Geo. L. Press, Esq., and some smaller owners. The right of lord of this manor was decided in the time of King Edward by the tenants in single combat.
The CHURCH (St. Margaret), comprises nave, chancel, south aisle, and square tower with two bells, and was partially restored and refitted with open benches, new pulpit, reading-desk, &c., in 1856, at a cost of £450. The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £7 16s., and now at £230, is in the patronage of the representatives of the Rev. F.E.J. Valpy and incumbency of the Rev. Thomas Rowath Valpy, who has a good residence, built in 1846 at a cost of £2500, about 16A. of glebe, and a yearly tithe rent-charge of £248.
There is a BOARD SCHOOL here for the united parishes of Garveston and Thuxton, built in 1877, and the attendance is between 60 and 70 children.
The fuel allotment, awarded at the enclosure in 1812, comprises 7A. 2R., let for £12, which is distributed in coals. The parish has land let for £3 3s. 6d., which is carried to the poor's rate. A farm at Yaxham, purchased with £100 left by Barbara Lock, in 1685, is let for £25, which is distributed among the poor, together with £6 10s., arising from the following yearly doles: viz. 10s. from Mowting's charity (see page 223 [which is East Dereham]): 10s. left by John Rix, in 1639; £4 10s. left by Wm. Blanchflower in 1723; and 20s. left by Barnard Church (see Norwich). From the latter charity this parish receives every fourth year 30s., of which 9s. 4d. is for the poor, and the rest for a sermon.
POST OFFICE at Mr. Jeremiah Filby's. Letters arrive at 8:30 a.m., and despatched at 5.50 p.m., viâ Hingham, nearest Money Order and Telegraph Office at East Dereham.
Arthurton William farmer Buckingham Robert farmer and vict., the White Horse Bush Charles farmer Cheetham Mrs Mary shopkeeper Eagling James blacksmith Filby Jeremiah pork-butchr. & pstmr. Fox Mrs Lucy farmer Fryer Miss schoolmistress Gapp John farmer Greenwood Mrs Anne farmer & owner Greenwood George farmer Harris George Nicholson coal dealer Hubbard George farmer Isbill Charles farmer Lewell Isaac farmer Mace John shopkeeper Palmer Stephen William farmer Rudd William farmer Rumble George farmer and owner Rumble Thomas vict., the King's Arms Smith James carpenter & wheelwright Smith John carpenter & wheelwright Valpy Rev Thomas Rowath rector, The Rectory Vincent Howard farmer
See also the Garveston parish page.
Copyright © Pat Newby.