[Transcription copyright © Mike Bristow]
GARVESTON, commonly called Garston, is a small village and parish, on the Hingham road, 5 miles S.S.E. of East Dereham, comprising only 386 inhabitants, and about 800 acres of land. Edw. Lombe, Esq., is lord of the manor, but the soil belongs mostly to Sir W. R. Clayton, and other freeholders. "The right of lord of this manor was decided in the time of King Edward, by the tenants in single combat."
The CHURCH, dedicated to St. Margaret, has a very ancient carved font, and four bells. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in K.B. at £7. 16., and in 1831, at £190. The tithes have been commuted for £243 per annum.
Sir Wm. Robt. Clayton, Bart., is the patron, and the Rev. A.P. Clayton, M.A., of Berkshire, is the incumbent, for whom the Rev. A. Wodehouse, officiates.
The Fuel Allotment, awarded at the enclosure, in 1812, comprises 7A. 2R., let for £14, which is distributed in coals. The parish has a house, occupied by paupers, and land, let for £3. 3s. 6d., which is carried to the poor rates. A farm at Yaxham, purchased with £100, left by Barbara Lock, in 1685, is let for £21, which is distributed among the poor, at midsummer, together with £6. 10s., arising from the following yearly doles, viz., 10s. from Mowting's charity, (see East Dereham;) 10s. left by John Rix, in 1639; £4. 10s. left by Wm. Blanchflower in 1723; and 20s. left by Barnard Church. (See page 140.[Charities section-History of Norwich]) From the latter charity, this parish also receives every fourth year, 30s., of which 9s. 4d. is for the poor, and the rest for a sermon.
Daynes John shoemaker Fox George blacksmith Jarvis Ann vict., White Horse Sparke Jas. butcher & vct. King's Arms Springall Robt. miller and baker Springall Walter grocer and draper Stagwood Wm. carpenter FARMERS. Daynes George Frost Thomas Gapp John Smith Greenwood Jas. and John Hubbard Jno. sen. and jnr. Jessop John Richardson Sarah Stringer Wm.
See also the Garveston parish page.
Copyright © Mike Bristow.