GARBOLDISHAM, a parish and large village in the narrow valley of a rivulet, 3½ miles S. of East Harling, is in Guiltcross union, Guiltcross hundred, Guiltcross and Shropham petty sessional division, Diss county court district, Ipswich bankruptcy district, Harling polling district of South Norfolk, Rockland rural deanery, and Norfolk archdeaconry. It had 639 inhabitants in 1881, living on 2705 acres, and had a rateable value of £3705 10s.
Cecil Thomas Molyneux Montgomerie, Esq., D.L., J.P., lord of the manors of Pakenham-in-Garboldisham, and Uphall-in-Garboldisham, is principal landowner. He resides at Garboldisham manor house, which occupies the site of a much smaller residence, and was completed in 1873 from the designs of Sir G. Gilbert Scott, F.S.A. The style is Jacobean, and the materials are the local white and red bricks, the latter being employed for the dressings. The gables are curved in various forms, and the chimney stacks, which are richly moulded, follow local types. The stables are designed in character with the house. The grounds, which comprise about 10 acres, were laid out under the direction of Mr. William Brodrick Thomas.
The Uphall estate belongs to Chas. Davy Caldwell, who attained his majority May, 1883. It consists of 508 acres, which is farmed by Thos. Davy, Esq. Opposite the manor house, is the cricket ground, on an elevated plateau in park grounds, carefully kept.
The CHURCH (St. John the Baptist) comprises nave, chancel, porch, and square tower with six bells. It was thoroughly restored in 1862 by the Honourable Georgiana Louisa Montgomerie, at a cost of over £2000. A new organ has just (1883) been placed in the church at a cost of £162. The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £19 16s. is in the incumbency of the Rev. Chas. Lewis Kennaway, M.A., who was appointed in 1876, who has 51A. of glebe, tithe commutation £605, and a good residence, rebuilt in 1856.
Here was formerly another Church (All Saints), but it was taken down in 1734, except a portion of the tower, which is now an ivy-clad ruin. Its rectory is consolidated with St. John's.
The National School, erected in 1872, with residence for master attached, will accommodate 100 children; the average attendance is 80, on books 110.
Here is a small Primitive Methodist chapel.
The undermentioned charities are all amalgamated under a scheme of the Charity Commissioners, dated May 30, 1879, and vested in eight trustees, who distribute two-fourths to the poor, one-fourth as apprentice fees, and the remaining fourth is carried to the church fund. The charities consist of the Town lands, given by Thos. Bole in 1490, Richard Lovick in 1623, Henry Brampton in 1628, and other donors; £100 left by Mary Williamson in 1696, laid out in 6A. 1R. 25P. of land; and a yearly rent-charge of 20s. left by Dorothy Gawdy, and another of 10s. left by one Canham. The total receipts for the year ending Easter, 1882, was £81 16s. 8d., of which £49 14s. 10d. was available for distribution. H.A. Linstead, jun., is clerk to the trustees.
POST, MONEY ORDER and TELEGRAPH OFFICE at Arthur Rolfe's. Letters from Thetford, viâ Harling, arrive at 7 a.m., despatched at 6.5 p.m.
AMOS Geo. thatcher BALLS Amos vict. Swan Inn, and coal merchant BARNES William bricklayer BEETON Thos. poulterer BENNET Chas. Edwd. farmer, Flint hall; h Garboldisham Harrison BUGG Benj. Giles vict. Fox Inn, and farmer, Mill Pond farm CAUDWELL Edward farmer, landowner and maltster COCKERILL Chas. sexton DAVY Thos. farmer, landowner and land agent, Ling farm DOE Geo. boot and shoemaker EDWARDS Chas. cattle dealer EDWARDS Fred. Jas. blacksmith and wheelwright ENGLISH Wm. farmer FOWELL Frederic solicitor, perpetual commissioner, and commissioner to administer oaths, clerk to Bressingham and North Lopham School boards, to North Lopham Burial board, agent to the Hand-in-Hand Life and Fire Insurance Co. and at Walsham-le-Willows & Diss GREEN George farmer, Smallworth HUTSON Richard pig dealer JACQUES Stephen farmer JOLLY Henry John shoeing & general smith KENNAWAY Rev. Chas. The Rectory Lewis, M.A. LAURENCE Mrs. Emma miller LINSTEAD Hy. Alf. saddler & hrnss. mkr LINSTEAD Hy. Alfred, assistant overseer & clerk to Charity junr. trustees MONTGOMERIE Cecil Thomas Garboldisham Manor Molyneux, D.L., J.P. NUNN John tanner PORCHER Walter boot & shoe maker PORT John Winzer National schoolmaster, School house QUANTRILL John farmer and grocer, Small Heath ROLFE Arthur Tillott grocer, draper, and post office ROWE Edgar farm bailiff to Thomas Davy, Uphall TURNER Edward Jas. farmer WOOD Robert baker
CARRIER -- Wm. Vont, from Banham to Norwich, passes through to and fro, Wed. and Sat.
Copyright © Pat Newby.