Genuki Logo Norfolk Welcome   Contents and Search

Norfolk: Garboldisham

William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845

[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]

GARBOLDISHAM, a large village in the narrow valley of a small rivulet, 3½ miles S. of East Harling, has a few manufacturers of linen, or hempen cloth. Its parish contains 777 inhabitants, and 1958 acres of land, exclusive of a sheep walk of 740A.

The Uphall estate belongs to Sir Wm. Abdy; but the lord of the other manors, and chief owner of the soil, is Crisp Molineux Montgomery, Esq., the patron of the CHURCH (St. John the Baptist,) a large edifice, with a square tower and six bells. The living is a rectory, valued in the King's Book at £19. 16s., and in 1831 at £495, and now enjoyed by the Rev. G.S.M. Montgomery, M.A., with 41A. of glebe.

Here was formerly another Church (All Saints,) but after being dilapidated, it was taken down in 1734. Its rectory is consolidated with the above.

The Hall, now the seat of the Montgomery family, was formerly occupied by the Marquis of Blandford, now Duke of Marlborough.

The TOWN LANDS, given by Thos. Bole in 1490; Richd. Lovick, in 1623; Henry Brampton, in 1628; and other donors, comprise about 34 acres, let at rents amounting to £46 per annum, of which about £12 is distributed among the poor in bread, and the residue is applied in the service of the church.

In 1696, Mary Williamson left £100 to be vested in the purchase of land, and the rents applied in binding poor children, or in clothing the poor. The land purchased consists of 6A. 1R. 25P., let for £10. 5s. There are two cottages upon it, occupied by paupers. The poor have also a yearly rent-charge of 20s., left by Dorothy Gawdy, and another of 10s. left by one Canham.

In the following Directory, those marked 1 are on the Common, and 2, at Ling:-

	  Ashfield   Mrs C.
	1 Baldry     Robert             grocer & beerhs.
	1 Beeton     Thos.              poulterer & beerhs.
	  Bent       John               watchmaker
	  Boyce      Rd.                plumber, painter, &c
	  Browne     Mr J.
	  Chinery    Rt.                linen mfr. and shopr.
	1 Cooke      A.                 vict. Marlborough Arms
	  Edwards    John               butcher
	  Flower     Mrs.               gentlewoman
	  Jolley     John               blacksmith
	  Jolley     John, jun.         brazier and tinner
	  Linstead   Alfred             saddler
	  Montgomery Rev George Stephen
	               Molineux, M.A.   rector
	  Montgomery C.M. and Thos.
	               Molineux, Esqrs. Hall
	  Smith      Sophia             grocer and draper
	  Steel      Sarah              Fox and Goose
	  Whistler   Samuel             linen mfr.
	  Whitton    James              vict. Swan

	                         FARMERS.

	  Amos       Francis            Dean      Chas. Rt.
	  Caudwell   John, (&         2 Edwards   Jas.
	               maltster)        Everett   Thomas
	  Cooke      Robert           1 Peck      Richard
	  Cooke      Thomas,          2 Stubbins  Hy.
	               Uphall           Turner    James
	2 Davey      Thomas

	     Joiners.                      Tailors.

	  Brooks     Jacob              Brookes    Robert
	  Tillett    Leonard            Lambert    Richd.
	                                Saunders   James
	                                Steggles   George
	                                Worby      John

	     Shoemakers.                   Wheelwrights.

	  Bird       Wm.                Cawthorne  J.P.
	  Doe        Edward             Edwards    Samuel
	  Taylor     George

See also the Garboldisham parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
March 2006