Genuki Logo Norfolk Welcome   Contents and Search

Norfolk: Fundenhall

William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883

[Transcription copyright © Ann Duncan]

FUNDENHALL, 4½ miles S.S.E. of Wymondham, and 9 miles S.S.W. of Norwich, has its parish in Depwade union, Wymondham county court district, Norwich bankruptcy district, Depwade petty sessional division, Stratton polling district of South Norfolk, Depwade hundred, Depwade rural deanery, and Norfolk archdeaconry. It had 318 inhabitants in 1881, living on 1347 acres, and has a rateable value of £2047.

The chief landowners are Baroness Berners, George Duckett Berney, Esq., Sir F.G.M. Boileau, Bart., Wm. Howes, Esq., and the Rev. Gerard Barton. Baroness Berners is lady of the manor. William Howes, Esq., is lord of the rectory manor, and his farm suffered damage to the amount of £1470, in the great storm of hail and wind, on August 9, 1843. Many other farms in this neighbourhood suffered severely at the same time.

The CHURCH (St.Nicholas) is an ancient fabric, comprising nave, chancel, porch and tower with five bells. The tower stands at the junction of the nave and chancel, and is of the Norman period, as also is the porch. The church was restored in 1869, when a new oak pulpit on a stone base was given by the present minister in memory of his deceased wife, and has a Latin inscription upon it. The rood loft still remains, and is handsomely carved and painted, and bears a Latin inscription. The font has figures of angels bearing shields, upon the shaft; and in the chancel is a good piscina.

G.D. Berney, Esq., is patron of the living, which is a donative, worth only about £51 a year, and now held by the Rev. Thomas Sedger, M.A. The tithes were commuted, in 1840, for £506 per annum.

The School was built in 1856 by William Howes, Esq., and is attended by 50 children.

The fuel allotment, 5A., awarded at the enclosure in 1814, is let for £7 10s.

POST OFFICE at Thomas Chapman's. Letters delivered at 9 am., and despatched at 5.55 p.m., viâ Wymondham, which is the nearest Money Order and Telegraph Office.

	Anderson  Miss             schoolmistress
	Attoe     George           farmer
	Bailey    William Norman   shopkeeper
	Barton    Rev. Gerard      The Grange
	Browne    Mr Edward
	Bunting   William, sen.    farmer
	Bunting   William, jun.    corn miller
	Chapman   Thomas           farmer, shopkeeper, and postmaster
	Howes     Mr William       farmer & owner, Black Hall
	Myhill    Wm.              farmer, the Grange farm
	Rattee    Mrs Elizabeth    farmer and owner
	Ringwood  James            farmer
	Sewell    Stephen          farmer
	Tye       Mrs Sarah        farmer

See also the Fundenhall parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
August 2001