FUNDENHALL, 9 miles S.S.W. of Norwich, has in its parish 367 souls, and 1348 acres of land, belonging to several owners, the largest of whom are, Lord Berners, lord of the manor of Fundenhall-cum-Hapton, (fines arbitrary,) and T. T. Berney, Esq., impropriator of the tithes and patron of the Church (St. Nicholas,) which is a donative, worth only about £21 a year, and now held by the Rev. Wm. Hurnard. The tithes were commuted, in 1840, for £506 per annum.
Mr. Wm. Howes is lord of the rectory manor, and his farm suffered damage to the amount of £1470, in the great storm of hail and wind, on Aug. 9th, 1843. (See p.403 [this is the entry for Thetford].) Many other farms in this neighbourhood suffered severely at the same time.
The Fuel Allotment, 5A., awarded at the enclosure in 1814, is let for £6. 10s.
Flegg Wm. miller Harrison Robert shoemaker Howard Mrs. Ann Newman Wm. grocer, &c. Smith John grocer, &c. Rattee Daniel veterinary surgeon farmers (Marked * are owners.) Harvey Robt. and Thos. * Howes Wm. and John * Howes James * Peel Henry Self John * Tye Francis Wright Jno.
Copyright © Pat Newby.