FULMODESTON-WITH-CROXTON, 5 miles E. by N. of Fakenham, are united parishes, in Walsingham union, Fakenham county court district, Norwich bankruptcy district, Gallow hundred and petty sessional division, Fakenham polling district of West Norfolk, Burnham rural deanery, and Norfolk archdeaconry. It had 361 inhabitants in 1881, living on 2333 acres, and has a rateable value of £2770. Of the soil, 1330A. are arable, 628A. pasture, 280A. woodland, and 60A. whin cover.
The Earl of Leicester is lord of the manor (anciently held by the Grancourts), and owns most of the parish, including the extensive woods of Fulmodeston (214A.), filled with beautiful oak timber and some remarkably fine firs. Lord Hastings has an estate here. The Hall, formerly a seat of the Brownes, and Clipston house, within the bounds of Croxton, 1½ mile S.W. of Fulmodeston, is the pleasant residence of Mr. T.G. Watson, and commands an extensive prospect.
Fulmodeston CHURCH (St. Mary) is an ancient structure, comprising nave, chancel, and square tower with one bell; and contains some handsome monuments of the Browne family. At Croxton is a small thatched chapel, dedicated to St. John the Baptist. A new church was erected in 1881, in the centre of the parishes, for the use of Fulmodeston and Croxton, at a cost of £2000, from plans by Mr. W. Bassett-Smith, of London. It comprises nave, chancel, and south aisle, and affords accommodation for 200 persons.
The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £10, is in the gift of Corpus Christi College, Cambridge, and incumbency of the Rev. James Geo. Mould, B.D., who has a good residence, 65A. 2R. 23P. of glebe, and a yearly rent-charge of £575, awarded in lieu of tithes.
The Primitive Methodists and Baptists have each a small chapel here.
A school was erected here in 1876, for the united districts of Barney and Fulmodeston-with-Croxton, by a School Board, established in that year. The present Board consists of Rev. J.G. Mould (chairman), and Messrs. T.G. Watson, J.W. Butler, and G. Notley; Mr. S. Aberdim [sic] is the clerk.
About 600 acres were enclosed in 1808, when a fuel allottment of 29 acres was awarded to the poor, and is now let for £50 to Lord Hastings, who sub-lets it to labourers. The poor parishioners have also £47 18s. 6d. yearly, from the dividends of £1000 three per cent. consols, and £513 3s 10d. new 3½ per cents., left by Mrs. Ann Bircham in 1814.
POST OFFICE at Mr. John Emerson's. Letters arrive at 7.30 a.m., and are despatched at 5 p.m., viâ Dereham. Fakenham is the nearest Money Order Office.
EMERSON John grocer & postmaster GATHERCOLE Rev. Augustus curate, Croxton GENT James whlwright. & blacksmith HAWES Thos. Henry grcr. and draper HURLEY Mark Board schoolmaster JACKSON John Robert Hunter farmer, The Hall KING William beerhouse MASSINGHAM James well sinker MIDDLETON Jas. vict. Hastings Arms MOULD Rev. James Geo. B.D. rector, Croxton NOTLEY George farmer OLLEY George poulterer and butcher PARKER Nicholas blcksmth; & Barney PLATTEN Richard farmer, Croxton RICHES Samuel farmer, Croxton RICHES Thomas farmer WAITE John parish clerk WATSON Thomas Garwood farmer, Clipston house WEST Jas. miller & frmr; & Bardney [sic]
Copyright © Pat Newby.