Genuki Logo Norfolk Welcome   Contents and Search

Norfolk: Fulmodeston with Croxton

William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845

[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]

FULMODESTON-WITH-CROXTON, 5 miles E. by N. of Fakenham, are scattered villages and united parishes, separate only as respects highways and church rates; and the former having 283, and the latter 75 inhabitants. They contain together 2,333A. 2R. 14P. of land, of which, 1,330 acres are arable, 628A. pasture, 280A. woodland, and 80A. whin cover.

The Earl of Leicester is lord of the manor, (anciently held by the Grancourts,) and owns about 1,500 acres of the soil, including the extensive woods of Fulmodeston, (214A.,) filled with beautiful oak timber. Lord Hastings has an estate and 60A. of plantation here. The Hall, formerly a seat of the Brownes, has lately been purchased by Mr. John Jackson, its present occupant. Clipston House, within the bounds of Croxton, 1½ mile S.W. of Fulmodeston, is the pleasant residence of W.E. Rix, Esq., commanding an extensive prospect. Near it is the farm of Lower Clipston, in Little Ryburgh parish.

Fulmodeston CHURCH (St. Mary,) is an ancient structure, with a square tower, and contains some handsome monuments of the Browne family. At Croxton is an ancient thatched chapel of ease, dedicated to St. John the Baptist. The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £10, is in the gift of Corpus Christi College, Cambridge, and incumbency of the Rev. Thomas Greene, M.A., who has a good residence, 65A. 2R. 23P. of glebe, and a yearly rent of £558, recently awarded in lieu of tithes.

About 600 acres were enclosed in 1808, when a Fuel Allotment of 28A., was awarded to the poor, and it is now let in small parcels to labourers, at rents amounting to £29 17s. per annum, which is distributed at Christmas. The poor parishioners have also £47 18s. 6d. yearly, from the dividends of £1,000 three per cent. Consols, and £513 3s. 10d. New 3½ per Cents., left by Mrs. Ann Bircham, in 1814.

This parish had 391 inhabitants in 1831; but in 1836, it sent out no fewer than 90 pauper emigrants to Canada, at the expense of £5 6s. per head.


	Barnes     Thomas            smith  [see note below]
	Bell       John              smith  [see note below]
	Colman     John              shopkpr. & shoemaker
	Doughtby   John              wheelwrgt. & beerhs.
	Elliott    Robert            parish clerk
	Farrow     Robert            millwright and vict., Browne's Arms
	Guymer     Robert            gamekpr., Severals
	Jackson    Isaac             farmer & tax collector
	Jackson    John              farmer, Hall
	Kendle     Lewis             carpenter, &c.
	Massingham Edmund            well sinker
	Pettingale George            farmer, Manor Hs.
	Riches     Thomas            farmer and carrier
	Seppings   John              butcher


	Adams      William           corn miller
	Buck       Rev. John         Croxton Cottage
	Greene     Rev. Thomas, M.A. Rectory


	Applegate  Francis
	Blade      John
	Kendle     John
	Riches     Robert
	Rix        Wm. Emerson       gent., Clipston
	Russell    Benjamin

Note: in the original this is:
     Bell John, & Barnes Thomas, smiths

See also the Fulmodeston with Croxton parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
May 2010