FULMODESTON and CROXTON are united parishes and scattered villages.
Fulmodeston is 2 miles south-east from Thursford station on the Midland and Great Northern joint railway, about 3 north-east from Ryburgh station on the Wells and Dereham section of the Great Eastern railway and 5 east from Fakenham, in the North Western division of the county, Gallow hundred and petty sessional division, Walsingham union and county court district, rural deanery of Burnham, archdeaconry of Lynn and diocese of Norwich.
The church of St. Mary, closed in 1882, is now in ruins. Christ church, erected in 1882 at a cost of £2,500, is a building of flint, consisting of chancel, nave, south aisle and a north porch, and affords 200 sittings. The register dates from the year 1556. The living is a rectory, joint net yearly value £351, with 63½ acres of glebe and residence in the gift of Corpus Christi College, Cambridge, and held since 1898 by the Rev. Edmund Godfrey, M.A. of that college.
There are Primitive Methodist and Baptist chapels here.
There is a fuel allotment of nearly 30 acres, let to Lord Hastings for £40 yearly, and other charities of £40 annual value for clothing.
Several woods, situate in this parish, are the property of the Earl of Leicester: they cover an area of 220 acres, and contain some of the finest fir and pine trees in the kingdom. On the Manor farm is an iron spring, which is used for medicinal purposes. The Earl of Leicester G.C.V.O., C.M.G., J.P. is lord of the manor and principal landowner; Lord Hastings also has estates in the parish. The soil is a rich strong loam; subsoil, clay. The crops are wheat, oats, barley, turnips and green crops generally. The united parishes contain 2,356 statute acres; rateable value, £1,828; the population in 1911 was 300.
At Croxton, 1 mile north-west, there are the ruins of a thatched church named in honour of St. John the Baptist.
Sexton, William Leach.
Post Office. - John Emerson, sub-postmaster. Letters through Guist, arrive 7 a.m. & 2.50 p.m.; dispatched 10.5 a.m. & 5.35 p.m. No sunday delivery. Swanton Novers is the nearest money order & telegraph office, 3 miles distant
Public Elementary School (mixed), built in 1877, at a cost of £1,000, and enlarged in 1907 at a cost of £450, for 120 children; average attendance, 109; Garibaldi Crowther, master; Mrs. Crowther, mistress
Godfray Rev. Edmund M.A. Rectory COMMERCIAL. Bacon Robert John farmer Coleman Alfred farmer Emerson John grocer & sub-postmstr Gent James carpenter & wheelwright Green Matthew miller (wind), Croxton mill, Croxton Hall John farmer, Manor farm Hawes Thomas Henry grocer & draper Howell Frederick William farmer, Fulmodeston hall Howell Horace farmer Howlett Robert Hastings Arms P.H Loynes William oil dealer Sands Thos. frmr. Clipstone ho. Croxtn Towell James beer retailer Utting Thomas William farm bailiff to T. Sands esq. Croxton
Copyright © Pat Newby.