FRITTON, a pleasant village scattered round a green of 70 acres, 11 miles S. of Norwich, has its parish in Depwade union, petty sessional division, and hundred, Harleston county court district, Ipswich bankruptcy district, Stratton polling district of South Norfolk, Depwade rural deanery, and Norfolk archdeaconry.
It had 204 inhabitants in 1881, living on 890 acres of land, of a rateable value of £1281. The parish is in Mrs. F.W. Irby's manor of Boyland-cum-Fritton, but part of the soil belongs to Mrs. Howes, and other proprietors.
The CHURCH (St.Catherine) comprises nave, chancel, and round tower containing three bells, and was restored in 1853. Several mural paintings representing St. Christopher, St. George, &c., of a somewhat remarkable character, were discovered here in 1850. The church contains a good specimen of a rood screen (recently restored), with figures of the four Latin Fathers, &c.
The living, a discharged rectory, valued in the King's Book at £9, was augmented, in 1781, with £200 of Queen Anne's Bounty, and £200 given by the late Rev. Thomas Howes. It is in the patronage of Mrs. Howes, and incumbency of the Rev. Herbert Wilson, M.A., who has a good residence, about 17 acres of glebe, and a yearly tithe rent-charge of £286, awarded in 1833.
The Town lands, consisting of a farm of 13A. 2R. 1P., in Morningthorpe, and 3A. in Fritton, let for £30 a year, are supposed to have been left by John Alward, in 1506, for the repairs of the church, and the payment of the taxes of the poor. As far as needed, the rents are applied in the service of the church, and the remainder is carried to the poor's-rate.
The Labourers' land, 2A. in Hempnall, is let for £7.10s., which is expended in providing tools for poor labourers, for which purpose it is supposed to have been given.
The School is attended by about 50 children.
POST viâ Long Stratton; but Hempnall is the nearest Money Order and Stratton the nearest Telegraph Office. Letter-box at Stratton cleared at 12 noon and 6 p.m.
Betts Thomas farmer and owner Biggs Frederick William farmer Moss & Wood maltsters; & Lowestoft Nash Thomas Spooner farmer and owner Rackham Geo. frmr. and cattle dealer, Rackham Rackham William parish clerk Searle Samuel grocer and draper Ward Francis victualler, The Nags Watling Thomas wheelwright Westgate Samuel farmer Wilson Rev. Herbert, M.A. The Rectory Wright William farmer
Copyright © Pat Newby.