FRITTON, a pleasant village, scattered round a green of 66 acres, 11 miles S. of Norwich, has in its parish 301 souls, and about 850 acres of land, in Wm. Fdk. Irby, Esq.'s manor of Boyland-cum-Fritton, but part of the soil belongs to other proprietors.
The Church (St. Catherine,) has a tower and three bells. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the King's Book at £9, and now having about £290 a year, in lieu of tithes. The Rev. Thos. Howes, of Morningthorpe, is patron and incumbent. The glebe is 6A., and the living was augmented, in 1781, with £200 of Queen Anne's Bounty, and £200 given by the late Rev. Thos. Howes.
The Town Lands, consisting of a farm of 14A. in Morningthorpe, let for £25, and 3A. in Fritton, let for £4. 10s., are supposed to have been left by John Alward, in 1506, for the repairs of the church, and the payment of the taxes of the poor. As far as needed, the rents are applied in the service of the church, and the remainder is carried to the poor-rates.
The Labourers' Land, 2A. in Hempnall, is let for £4, which is expended in providing tools for poor labourers, for which purpose it is supposed to have been given.
Bunn Sarah shopr. Gooch Mary blacksmith Legood Jph. vict., Three Nags Loveday Wm. shoemaker Limmer J. H. corn and porter merchant, maltster, and mustard mfr. farmers Claxton Jph. and Wm. Drake Daniel Nash Wm. and Thos. Thrower Alex. Tidman Wm. (machine owner) White John and Wm.
"Rd. Lansdell, blksmth. Fritton."
Copyright © Pat Newby.