Genuki Logo Norfolk Welcome   Contents and Search

Norfolk: Fring

William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883

[Transcription copyright © Juanita Hadwin]

FRENGE, or Fring, is a parish, with a small village, seated in a deep valley with woody acclivities, between Snettisham and Docking, 14 miles N.E. by N. of Lynn. It is in Smithdon hundred, Docking union, Smithdon and Brothercross petty sessional division, Fakenham county court district, King's Lynn bankruptcy district, Docking polling district of West Norfolk, Heacham rural deanery, and Norfolk archdeaconry. It had 185 inhabitants in 1881, living on 1710 acres of land, and its rateable value is £2056 15s.

The Peddars (or Pedlar's Way) passes through this parish, belonging to Richard Dusgate Dusgate, Esq., the lord of the manor. The Hall, a good brick mansion, with extensive gardens and pleasure grounds, upon a commanding eminence, is occupied by Mrs. Louisa Dickson Bushby.

The CHURCH (All Saints) stands on the western acclivity, and has nave, chancel, south porch, and square tower with one bell. It is in the Decorated style, but the interior is very plain and filled with high pews. Near the chancel arch is a niche for a saint and some partially obliterated mural paintings. Part of the rood staircase remains, and in the chancel are sedilia and a piscina.

The tithes, which have been commuted for £402, and the glebe, 48A. 1R., were transferred by the Dean and Chapter of Norwich to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, having been granted by Bishop Herbert, in 1001, to the monks of Norwich priory, who had a cell here, of which the foundations may still be traced. This appropriation was confirmed by Bishop Bateman, on condition that the profits should be applied to find the monks shoes.

The perpetual curacy, now valued at £103, was augmented from 1790 to 1816 with £700 of royal bounty, and in the latter year with £200, given by the late Rev. R. Bacon, LL.D. Of these augmentations, £400 are invested in land, and £500 in the funds. The Rev. Thomas Tweedale, M.A., is the incumbent, who resides at Shernbourne, with which vicarage it was consolidated in 1872.

A handsome school was erected in 1875 by Mrs. A.M. Locke, at a cost of £800, which is attended by 30 children.

LETTERS received through Lynn viâ Docking. The nearest Money Order and Telegraph Office is at Docking. Pillar letter-box cleared at 4.30 p.m. on week days only.

	BUSHBY   Mrs Louisa Dickson    The Hall
	JARVIS   Miss Susannah         schoolmistress
	KEMP     Benjamin              parish clerk
	KEMP     Charles               shopkeeper & carrier
	PAGE     Charles William       farmer
	PAGE     Mr Philip Samuel
	PAYNE    Samuel                farm bailiff
	WATERS   William               farmer and butcher at Snettisham
	                                 and Hunstanton
	WICKS    Richd.                beerhouse & shopkeeper
CARRIER -- Chas. Kemp to Lynn, Tues.
See also the Fring parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
November 2001