FRING, or Frenge, is a parish, with a small village, seated in a deep valley, with woody acclivities, between Snettisham and Docking, 14 miles N.E. by N. of Lynn; containing 162 inhabitants, and 1,730A. 2R. 34P. of land, mostly belonging to Abm. Richd. Dusgate, Esq., the lord of the manor; but he resides generally in France, so that the Hall, a neat cemented mansion, upon a commanding eminence, with extensive gardens and pleasure-grounds, is unoccupied. Only 1,570 acres are accessible.
The CHURCH (All Saints,) stands on the western acclivity, and has a small tower of flint, with one bell. All the tithes, with 48A. 1R. of glebe, are possessed, with the advowson, by the Dean and Chapter of Norwich, being granted by Bishop Herbert, in 1001, to the monks of Norwich priory, who had a cell here, of which the foundations may still be traced. This appropriation was confirmed by Bishop Bateman, on condition that the profits should be applied to find the monks shoes.
The curacy, valued in 1831 at £77, was augmented, from 1790 to 1816, with £700 of Royal bounty, and in the latter year with £200, given by the present incumbent, the Rev. Rt. Bacon, LL.D., who is author of "True Protestantism," published in 1825; and in 1810, expended nearly £600 in repairing and enlarging the parsonage house. Of the augmentations, £400 is vested in land, and £500 in the funds.
The farmers are, John Roper, and Wm. Wright; and Wm. Utton is steward to Mr. Dusgate.
Copyright © Pat Newby.