Genuki Logo Norfolk Welcome   Contents and Search

Norfolk: Frettenham

William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845

[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]

FRETTENHAM, 6 miles N. by E. of Norwich, has in its parish 285 souls, and 1581A. of land. Lord Suffield is chief owner of the soil, lord of the manor, and patron of the Church, (St. Swithen,) which was repaired and re-pewed in 1836. The living is a rectory, valued in the King's Book at £10, and in 1831, at £404, with that of Staninghall annexed to it, in the incumbency of the Rev. James Shirley, who has only a modus of £5. 10s. from Staninghall. The glebe here is 15A., and the tithes have been commuted for £395 per annum.

A school, built in 1832, is supported by subscription.

The late Lord Suffield apportioned to each cottage half an acre of land, so that the poor here are in better circumstances than those of most other parishes.

Directory:-

	Foulger   Francis     vict., Rose and Crown
	Fryer     Jerh.       joiner
	Fuller    John        shoemaker
	Remington Henry       wheelwright
	Remington Wm.         blacksmith
	Shirley   Rev. James  Rectory
	Tooley    Wm.         shoemaker and shopkeeper

	   farmers.

	Amis      John
	Hall      Wm.
	Juby      Wm.         (Mayton Hall)
	Ellis     Elijah
	Read      Robert

See also the Frettenham parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
November 2001