[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
FREETHORPE, 8 miles W. by S. of Yarmouth, and 12 miles E.S.E. of Norwich, has in its parish 425 inhabitants, and 903 acres of land. R.H.V. Walpole, Esq., is lord of the manor and owner of most of the soil, and the remainder belongs to T.W. Gilbert, Esq.
The Church (All Saints) is an ancient building of early English architecture, and consists of nave with aisles, chancel, and round tower with one bell. The windows are all of the simple lancet shape; and the chancel contains a piscina and several tablets of the Walpole family. The building was handsomely restored, at the expense of the lord of the manor, in 1850, when it was re-roofed and refitted with open benches and a new pulpit. A handsome stained glass window of two lights was also inserted in the east end, and the churchyard was enlarged.
The vicarage, valued in the King's Book at £12, is consolidated with the rectory of Reedham. (See p.449 [which is the entry for Reedham].) It has 9A. 2R. 30P. of glebe, and was augmented with £400 of Queen Anne's Bounty in 1760 and 1784. The two landowners are impropriators of the rectorial tithes.
The School was built by subscription in 1847, at a cost of £200, and is attended by above 50 children.
POST from Norwich, via Acle.
Brock Chas. tailor Carter Wm. smith Cory Christopher saddler & parish clerk Crane Thos. shopkeeper [see note below] Eacher John shopkeeper [see note below] England Geo. farmer Farman Hy. gardnr Gooch Mary Ann joiner Harvey Charles beerhouse Hindes John smith & wheelwright Lincoln George vict. Rampant Horse Mallett John shoemaker & shopkeeper Moll Geo. carrier to Norwich, Wed. Sat. Read Richard farmer, Manor House Waters Hy. shopkeeper & pork butcher Waters Maria brick and tile maker Waters Sarah Ann schoolmistress
Note: In the original this is:
Crane Thos. & Eacher John, shopkeepers
See also the Freethorpe parish page.
Copyright © Pat Newby.