Genuki Logo Norfolk Welcome   Contents and Search

Norfolk: Little Fransham

William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883

[Transcription copyright © Ann Duncan]

FRANSHAM (LITTLE), a small village, on the Norwich and Lynn road, 6 miles E. by N. of Swaffham, and west of East Dereham, is in Mitford and Launditch union, East Dereham county court district, Norwich bankruptcy district, Launditch hundred and petty sessional division, Swaffham polling district of West Norfolk, Brisley rural deanery, and Norwich archdeaconry. It had 233 inhabitants in 1881, living on 1005 acres, and has a rateable value of £1948.

The parish is in the two manors of Barns-on-the-Moor, and Sparham and Wilcox; the former held by William Butcher, Esq., and the latter by Charles Henry Capon, Esq., besides whom James Griggs, Esq., Mr. John Rix, Mr. Harry Wilson Benson, and some smaller owners, have land here. The Old Hall has a room, in which it is said Queen Elizabeth slept one night, on her tour through Norfolk; and near it are some foundations of Roman brickwork.

The CHURCH (St. Mary) is an ancient structure, originally in the Early English style, consisting of nave, chancel, and south porch, but having no tower. It contains several mural tablets, a piscina, and a curious antique font. The discharged rectory, valued in the King's Book at £6 8s. 4d., is in the patronage of Hertford College, Oxford, and incumbency of the Rev. Augustus Wenman Langton, M.A., who has 38 acres of glebe, a yearly tithe rent charge of £314, and a spacious residence with pleasant grounds.

The School is attended by 48 children, and was built in 1843 by the rector, and is supported by a voluntary rate.

The fuel allotment, awarded in 1807, is 11A. 2R., is let for £21.

POST and MONEY ORDER OFFICE and SAVINGS BANK at Mr. John Lovett's. Letters through East Dereham per foot post arrive at 8.30 a.m., despatched at 4.45p.m. No Sunday despatch.

	Bartlett  Rev. Thomas Willis   curate, Merton [house]
	Blackburn Robert               police officer
	Catton    Robert               farmer
	Griggs    Jas.                 farmer and landowner, The Old Hall;
	                                 and at Leicester square, South Creek
	Griggs    Mrs Jane             The Old Hall
	Howard    George               vict. Crown
	Howard    John                 fish hawker
	Langton   Rev. A. Wenman, M.A. rector, The Rectory
	Lovett    Miss Annie           Natl. schoolmistress
	Lovett    John                 grocer, draper, wheelwright, postmaster,
	                                 overseer, assessor and collector of
	                                 taxes, surveyor of highways, clerk
	                                 and attendance officer to the Beeston
	                                 School Board, and Poor's Rate
	                                 collector for Lit. Fransham and Gt.
	                                 Dunham; Post, Money Order, & Savings
	                                 Bank
	Mace      James                blacksmith
	Norman    Comfit               farmer
	Parker    Mrs Susannah         farmer
	Powley    Isaac                coal dealer
	Robotham  James                farmer

See also the Little Fransham parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
December 2001