Genuki Logo Norfolk Welcome   Contents and Search

Norfolk: Little Fransham

William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845

[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]

FRANSHAM, (LITTLE) a small village, on the Norwich and Lynn road, 6 miles E. by N. of Swaffham, and west of East Dereham, has in its parish 263 souls, and 1,031 acres of land, in the two manors of Barnes-on-the-Moor, and Sparham and Wilcox; the former, held by the Earl of Essex, and the latter by Mrs. Alpe; but part of the soil belongs to Money Griggs, Esq., and a few smaller owners. The old hall has a room, in which it is said Queen Elizabeth slept one night, in her tour through Norfolk, and near it are some foundations of Roman brick-work.

The Church (St. Mary,) is an ancient fabric without a steeple, containing a curious font, a piscina, and several memorials of the Alpe and other families. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the King's Book at £6. 8s. 4d., and now having 38A. of glebe, and a yearly rent of £314, awarded in 1838, in lieu of tithes. The Rev. A.W. Langton, A.M., is patron and incumbent.

The Fuel Allotment, awarded in 1807, is 11A. 2R., let for £16.


	Langton   Rev. Augustus   Rectory
	            Wenman, A.M.

	Carter    Rose            shopkeeper
	Lovitt    Richd.          wheelwright
	Mace      Thos.           blacksmith
	Powley    Abraham         vict., Crown Inn
	Perry     Wm.             shoemaker
	Seaman    Robert          farm steward, Hall


	Buscall   John
	Doy       Thos.
	Powley    Peter           (owner)
	Spencer   Wm.
	Ward      David

See also the Little Fransham parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
December 2001