Genuki Logo Norfolk Welcome   Contents and Search

Norfolk: Great Fransham

William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883

[Transcription copyright © Ann Duncan]

FRANSHAM (GREAT), is a scattered village and parish 6½ miles E.N.E. of Swaffham, and 6½ miles W. of Dereham, and is in Mitford and Launditch union, East Dereham county court district, Norwich bankruptcy district, Launditch hundred and petty sessional division, Litcham polling district of West Norfolk, Brisley rural deanery, and Norwich archdeaconry. It had 336 inhabitants in 1881, living on 1880 acres, and has a rateable value of £3490 18s.

The parish is in the manors of Ellingham Courtlings, Mills-on-the-Moor, Great Fransham, and the Rectory manors. The trustees of the late John Hudson, Esq. and the rector are lords of the manor. Miss Mason, Harry Wilson Benson, and some smaller owners have estates here.

The CHURCH (All Saints) has nave (thoroughly restored in 1878), a square tower surmounted by a small spire, and in the chancel is a fine brass, representing a man armed cap-à-pie, inscribed Galfridus Fransham. Under the arch of the steeple is a brass representing 'Cecelia uxor John Legge.'

The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £7 15s. 10d., has 63A. of glebe, and a yearly rent-charge of £552, awarded in 1841, in lieu of tithes. It is in the patronage of Magdalen College, Cambridge, and incumbency of the Rev. Vincent Raven, M.A., who has a good residence, built about 90 years ago.

The School is supported by voluntary contribution or rate.

The fuel allotment, awarded in 1807, is 8A. 1R. 36P., let for £11 15s.

Here is a station on the Lynn and Dereham branch of the Great Eastern Railway.

WALL LETTER-BOX at Mr. David Clark's. Letters from East Dereham arrive at 9 a.m., and are despatched at 4.30 p.m. No Sunday delivery or despatch. Little Fransham is the nearest Money Order Office.

	Benson      Harry Wilson   farmer and landowner, High house
	Boddy       Thomas         farmer	
	Churchman   William        farmer
	Clark       David          grocer and farmer
	Claxton     Christmas      victualler, Lord Nelson; and cottager
	Crane       William        agricultural implement maker, joiner
	                             and builder, smith and wheelwrt.
	                             and church bell hanger
	Flood       John           farmer and landowner, Alma lodge	
	Hazel       John George    miller and farmer
	Mace        Jas.           blacksmith; h Lit.Fransham
	Mann        Robert         beer house
	Purple      Henry          farmer and cattle dealer, High green
	Quartermain Miss           National school-mistress
	Raven       Rev. Vincent,  Rectory
	              M.A.
	Rix         Mrs Ann        farmer, Crudd's hall
	Rix         John           farmer, Crudd's hall
	Rush        Marlborough    beer house & frmr
	Standford   Philip         farmer and landowner, Glebe lands;
	                             h Wendling
	Tye         George         beerhouse and bricklayer
RAILWAY STATION: Edgar Skeet, station master
See also the Great Fransham parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
December 2001