FRAMINGHAM-EARL, a small parish of scattered dwellings, 4 miles S.E. by S. of Norwich, is in Henstead union, Norwich county court district and bankruptcy district, Swainsthorpe petty sessional division, Norwich polling district of South Norfolk, Henstead hundred, West Brooke rural deanery, and Norfolk archdeaconry. It had 167 inhabitants in 1881, living on 611 acres, and has a rateable value of £926 10s. The soil belongs to several proprietors, but the Earl of Rosebery is lord of the manor.
The CHURCH (St. Andrew) is a small edifice of very early character, with several curious features, and thought by many to be of 'Saxon' foundation. It comprises nave, chancel, south porch, and round tower with one bell. The chancel has a Decorated east window and a piscina, and in its north and south walls are two small round windows, not more than nine inches in diameter, widely splayed both within and without. In unblocking one of these in 1853, a portion of a wooden frame, pierced with eyelet holes in different directions, was found, and appeared to have been used for the purpose of affixing some kind of lacing as a substitute for glass.
The chancel arch is of good Norman work, enriched on the west side with zig-zags and the embattled moulding, and having squints on each side, cut through to the floor. The nave has a plain round-headed window on each side, splayed within and without. The doorways are Norman; the south door small and narrow with a rich head and imposts, one covered with the star ornament, the other with the billet and cable. The north doorway is larger than the south, the arch moulds ornamented with the billet, and the imposts enriched with the star ornament. The tower has a small round-headed window, and in the porch is a holy water stoup. In 1859, the building was re-roofed and well restored by the late rector, at a cost of about £600.
The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the King's Book at £3 6s. 8d., and consolidated with Bixley, as noticed at page 154 [This is the entry for Bixley]. The glebe here is 54A., and the tithes were commuted for £137 per annum at the enclosure in 1800, when a fuel allotment of 13A. 25P. was awarded to the poor, and is now let for £20 a year.
A SCHOOL BOARD has been formed for the combined parishes of Caistor, Arminghall, Markshall, Porringland, Framingham-Earl, Framingham-Pigot, and Stoke Holy Cross, and a new school has been built here, with accommodation for 200 children. The members are the Rev. L.C. Wallick (chairman), G.H. Christie, Esq., J.P. (vice chairman), Mrs. Birkbeck, the Rev. C. Turner, E. Waters, -- Allen, and J. Seago, Esqrs. Mr J. Chaplin is clerk.
POST OFFICE at Josiah Chaplin's. Letters arrive at 5 a.m., despatched at 5.40 p.m., viâ Norwich. Nearest Money Order and Telegraph Office at Trowse.
Andrews Mr William Beaumont George shoemaker Blyth George market gardener Blyth Horace market gardener Burgess John farmer Chaplin Josiah clerk to School Board and sub-postmaster Culling Robert market gardener Ewing Wm. Blake market gardener Johnson John Atkinson painter, plumber and glazier Mayes Thomas schoolmaster Middleditch Robt. victualler, Railway Tavern Pigott Paynton barrister-at-law and chief constable for Norfolk Spruce John farmer; h Porringland Stockings Mark Frederick farmer; h Norwich Turner Rev. Chas. M.A. The Rectory
Copyright © Pat Newby.