Genuki Logo Norfolk Welcome   Contents and Search

Norfolk: Framingham Earl

William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845

[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]

FRAMINGHAM-EARL, a small parish of dispersed dwellings, 4 miles S.E. by S. of Norwich, has only 100 inhabitants, and 611A. of land, belonging to several proprietors, the largest of whom is G.B.L. Knight, Esq., who has a neat mansion here, with a woody lawn; but the Earl of Rosebery is lord of the manor. Mr Knight's estate belonged to the late eminent Edward Rigby, M.D., who died in 1822, after practising as a surgeon in Norwich since 1769, and publishing several excellent medical works.

The CHURCH (St. Andrew,) is a small edifice, with a round tower. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the King's Book at £3. 6s. 8d., and is consolidated with Bixley, as noticed at page 788 [which is the entry for Bixley]. The glebe here is 12A., and the tithes were commuted for £137 per annum at the enclosure in 1800, when a Fuel Allotment of 13A. 25P. was awarded to the poor.

Directory:-

	Browne  Mrs. Ives
	Knight  Geo. Browne Leah, Esq.
	Chapman Joseph                 National schoolmaster

	   farmers.

	Gooch   J.
	Goward  John                   (wheelwright)
	Howlett H.
	Moyse   Jas.
	Smith   Reuben

See also the Framingham Earl parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
August 2008