[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
FOXLEY, a pleasant village, 4 miles E. of North Elmham, and 5 miles W. of Reepham, has in its parish 293 souls, and 1620 acres of land, nearly all the property of Edwd. Lombe, Esq., except about 300A. belonging to the Earl of Leicester's Beck Hall estate. On the east side of the parish is a wood of 305A.
The Church (St. Thomas) has a handsome tower and six bells. The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £6. 13s. 4d., has 21A. 1R. 26P. of glebe, and a yearly rent of £410, awarded in 1839, in lieu of tithes. E. Lombe, Esq., the lord of the manor, is patron, and the Rev. Louis Augustus Norgate, B.A., is the incumbent, and has recently erected a commodious Rectory House.
At the enclosure, in 1814, two acres were set apart as a clay-pit for the parishioners, who participate in the Free School at Bawdeswell.
Norgate Rev Louis A., B.A. Rectory Baker Coulsey shoemaker Everett Wm. tea dealer Joyce James butcher Meal John tea dealer Sands George blacksmith Simmons Wm. shoemaker and vict., Hare and Hounds Wright Thomas vict. Chequers FARMERS. Barker James Bidwell Wm. Dye Henry Jones James Lavender Robert Lewell Isaac Lewin Charles Manor Farm Simms John Woodhouse Charles
Carrier to Norwich, Thomas Wright, Saturday
See also the Foxley parish page.
Copyright © Pat Newby.