Genuki Logo Norfolk Welcome   Contents and Search

Norfolk: Foulden

William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1864

[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]

FOULDEN, or Fouldon parish, has a large straggling village, 8 miles S.S.W. of Swaffham, and contains 517 inhabitants and 3395 acres of land, mostly the property of W.A.T. Amhurst, Esq., who is lord of the manors of Latimer and Warren; but Mrs. Horrex and Edmund Oldfield, Esq., have estates here, and the latter resides at the Hall, a neat modern mansion which has recently been much improved.

The Church (All Saints) is in the decorated style, and comprises nave with aisles, north and south porches, chancel and vestry. The tower has long been an ivy-mantled ruin, but the rest of the building was restored about 20 years ago. The lower part of the ancient rood screen still remains, and the chancel contains a piscina and an organ.

The discharged vicarage, valued in the King's Book at £10. 2s., is consolidated with the rectory of Oxburgh. The great tithes of Foulden are in the appropriation of Gonville and Caius College, and were commuted in 1839 for £267. 19s., and the vicarial tithes for £178. 3s. 6d. per annum. Here are 110A. 2R. of glebe, and a vicarage house, occupied by the curate.

The National School, now attended by 50 children, was built in 1840, and has a yearly rent-charge of £5. left by Burnham Raymond, in 1728, for schooling 12 poor children.

At the enclosure, 322A. 37P. were left open for supplying occupiers of the ancient cottages with pasturage and fuel. For distribution among the poor, in kersey, duffel, and flannel, Foulden has every 5th year about £20, as the rent of 14A. 3R. 22P. of land at Old Buckenham, purchased with £60, left by Edmund Atmere in 1579, for the poor of this parish, and the poor of Feltwell, Northwold, Weeting, and Brandon, in rotation. About Easter, £18. 15s. are distributed among the most industrious parishioners of Foulden. It arises as follows:- £11. 7s. from 6A. left by Eliz. Long in 1662, 1A. derived from the bequests of Robert Fuller and another donor, and £7. 8s. from 7A. at Stoke Ferry, given by an unknown donor.

POST from Brandon, via Northwold.

	Easter     Robert Matthews   parish clerk
	Everett    John              blacksmith
	Gray       Anthony           estate carpenter
	Hardy      David             shoemkr. & vict. White Hart
	Horrex     Mrs Sarah
	King       Charles           beerhouse and bricklayer
	Layng      Rev. Henry, M.A.  curate, Vicarage
	Lusher     Elizabeth         schoolmistress
	Richardson Mr John

	                      FARMERS.

	Baker      John              Jarred    Mrs
	Carter     William           Lusher    George
	Dixon      Robert            Nelson    Francis
	Dorman     Thomas            Oldfield  Edmund, (owner) Hall
	Everett    Matthew           Pond      Joseph
	Horrex     Anthony

	   SHOPKEEPERS.

	Carter     James
	Howard     David
	Ramshaw    John
	Riches     Edward


See also the Foulden parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
March 2009