FORNCETT ST. PETER, on the west side of a rivulet, opposite the above [ie Forncett St. Mary], 11½ miles S.S.W. of Norwich, and 5½ miles N.E. of New Buckenham, has a station on the Great Eastern Railway. The parish is in Depwade union and hundred and petty sessional division, Wymondham county court district, Norwich bankruptcy district, Stratton polling district of South Norfolk, Depwade rural deanery, and Norfolk archdeaconry.
It had 616 inhabitants in 1881, living on 1831 acres of land, of a rateable value of £3302 5s. The parish includes the hamlets of Forncett-end, 1½ miles W. of the church, and Bustard's green, on the east side of the rivulet. The soil chiefly belongs to Sir C. Harvey, Thomas Palmer, Esq., and Miss E. Bradshaw. The manor has been enfranchised.
The CHURCH was restored in 1857, and comprises nave, chancel, aisles, fine north porch, and round embattled tower with five bells. The porch contains a holy water stoup, and over the entrance is a partially erased inscription:- 'St. Peter and Paul Patronys of this Place Pray to I.H.S. in Heven yt we may see his face.' The tower is said to have been erected by the English before the Conquest, and the rest of the church appears to have been built about the middle of the 15th century. The chancel contains a piscina, and has a stained glass window in its south wall, representing the patron saints of the church, and purchased by subscription, in memory of the Rev. Joseph Bell, M.A., a late curate.
The rectory was consolidated with Forncett St. Mary till 1846, as noticed above [ie in the entry for Forncett St. Mary]. It is in the patronage of the Earl of Effingham, and incumbency of the Rev. William Greive Wilson, M.A., J.P., who has 57A. of glebe, and a good residence near the church, with an avenue of lime trees. The incumbent must be a fellow of St. John's College, Cambridge. The tithes of the parish have been commuted for £793 per annum, of which £578 belong to the rector of St. Peter's, and the remainder to the rector of St. Mary's.
The Primitive Methodists and Baptists have each a chapel here. The Primitive Methodist Chapel, built in 1865, is a large and handsome structure.
The Town Lands were exchanged at the enclosure in 1809, for 6A. 3R. 28P., let at £10 10s., which is applied towards support of the National School; together with a yearly rent-charge of 32s., left by an unknown donor, out of land belonging to Sir C. Harvey, Bart. The School was built in 1848, at a cost of £630, and is attended by about 60 children. There is also an Infant School at Forncett-end which is attended by upwards of 30 children.
The interest of £50, left in 1859 by the late Sir R.J. Harvey, is distributed amongst poor aged women.
POST viâ Long Stratton. Letter-box at Forncett-end cleared at 3.45 p.m. Letter-box near church cleared at 4.15 p.m. Nearest Money Order and Telegraph Office at Long Stratton.
Alborough George farmer Browes J. vict. Trowel and Hammer Cannell Mrs Eliza farmer Caston Charles carpenter Caston Mrs Chas. infant schl.mistress Coleman Elijah farmer Cooper William butter-dealer Day Robert collar and harness maker Dunthorne Henry farmer English Thos. shopkper & beer retailer Furness John solicitor, Norwich; h Forncett St. Peter Gibson Benjamin corn-miller Hales James farmer and earpenter for Sir F. Boileau, Bart. [see note below] Keeler Robert vict. coal dealer and posting, Safety Valve Kirk William farmer Knights George corn-miller Knights Mrs Jdth. brhs, Jolly Farmers Ludkin Henry John miller, merchant, and seed-grower Matthews George farmer Moore Mrs Ann baker Moore William farmer and owner Murrills Richard grocer and draper Myhill Geo. T. registrar of births and deaths for Forncett dist. of Depwade union, & relieving officer for same Norman Joseph station agent Palmer Mrs Martha Palmer Thomas farmer and owner Patrick Walter painter, plumber, glazier, and pork butcher Peacock George blacksmith Poll Miss Annie schoolmistress Price John shoemaker Reynolds Edward farmer Self Charles farmer Smith George farmer, Home farm Smith William shopkeeper Spratt Jas. farmer, and at Tacolestone Tann Miles carpenter and shopkeeper Tooley Samuel farmer Tyler George farmer Walpole James farmer Ward John farmer, and butter dealer Waters John farmer Williams James carrier Wilson Rev. Wm. Greive, M.A., J.P. the Rectory
CARRIER. --- Jas. Williams, to Norwich Wed. and Sat.
Note: the original text is transcribed, but probably misprinted for "carpenter".
Copyright © Pat Newby.