FORNCETT ST. PETER, on the west side of a rivulet, opposite the above [ie Forncett St. Mary], 11½ miles S.S.W. of Norwich, and 5½ miles N.E. of New Buckenham, has in its parish 669 souls, 1851 acres of land, and the hamlets of Forncett end, 1½ mile W. of the church, and Buster's green, on the east side of the rivulet. The Duke of Norfolk is lord of the manor, and the copyholds are subject to arbitrary fines.
The Church has an embattled tower and five bells, and its rectory is consolidated with that of Forncett St. Mary. The tithes have been commuted for £703 7s. 3½d. per annum.
The Town Lands were exchanged at the enclosure in 1809, for 6A. 3R. 28P., let for £10, which is applied towards the support of the National School for both Forncetts; together with a yearly rent of 32s., left by an unknown donor, out of land belonging to Sir Robert J. Harvey.
A fair for pleasure and pedlery is held here on the third Thursday in Sept.
In the following Directory, those marked
1, reside at Buster's green;
2, at Forncett-end;
and the others in Forncett St. Peter:-
2 Barber Samuel baker 2 Blomfield James miller & maltster 2 Carston James joiner, &c 2 Chambers John corn miller 2 Feltham Wm. grocer 2 Humphreys J. beersllr [see note below] 2 Kemp J. beersllr [see note below] 2 King Jph. Bapt. min. & schoolmr 2 Knights Henry corn miller 2 Lansdale Wm. blacksmith Lane Rev John rector Doudney, A.M. Moore Mary vict. Norfolk Arms 2 Tipple George tailor FARMERS (* are Owners.) 1 Bailey Robert 1 Balls John *Betts Ed. & Sar. *Browne Charles 2*Colman Sarah Cooke Wm. Goodrum John Huggins Thos. *Lain Jno. butchr Nash Samuel *Palmer John & Thomas 2*Parker Thomas John Ringer John Smith Wm. Williamson Fdk. Shopkeepers. Smith Matthew 2 West Jno. Gill
Copyright © Pat Newby.