Genuki Logo Norfolk Welcome   Contents and Search

Norfolk: Forncett St Mary

William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883

[Transcription copyright © Ann Duncan]

FORNCETT ST. MARY, 11 miles S.S.W. of Norwich, and 6 miles N.E. of New Buckenham, is a parish in Depwade union, hundred, petty sessional division, and rural deanery, Wymondham county court district, Norwich bankruptcy district, Stratton polling district of South Norfolk, and Norfolk archdeaconery.

It had 275 inhabitants in 1881, living on 728 acres, and has a rateable value of £1151. The soil belongs to several copyholders (fines arbitrary). W. Henry Cole, Esq., is now lord of the manor. Sir C. Harvey, The Girls Hospital Norwich, Sir F.G.M. Boileau, Bart., Mrs. Margitson, and George Barker, Esq., have estates here.

The CHURCH is a fifteenth century structure, comprising nave, chancel, and square tower with three bells, and was re-roofed and otherwise restored in 1870. The rectories of Forncett St. Mary and St. Peter were united till 1846, when the Rev. J.W. Colenso, M.A. became rector of the former, and the Rev. W.G. Wilson, M.A., of the latter.

Dr. Colenso in 1853 was appointed Bishop of Natal, and is well known as the author of 'Elements of Algebra,' and other valuable educational works, and the 'Pentateuch and Book of Joshua Critically Examined,' which has given rise to so much controversy.

The united rectories were valued in the King's Book at £20, and in 1831 at £982. The Earl of Effingham is patron, and the Rev. Jno. Ed. Cooper, M.A., is rector of St. Mary's, and has 8 acres of glebe and a good residence, built in 1846. The incumbent must be a fellow of St. John's College, Cambridge. The tithes have been commuted for £309 13s. 5d. per annum, but the rector receives part of the tithes of Forncett St. Peter, so that the living is now worth about £515.

The Primitive Methodists have a small chapel here, built in 1854.

The Town Land, 4A. 31P., received in exchange at the enclosure in 1809, is let for £8, which is applied towards the support of the National School which was built in 1813, and is attended by 42 children.

POST OFFICE at Mr. Thomas Falgate's. Despatch at 5.30 p.m., delivery at 7.30 A.M ., viâ Long Stratton, which is the nearest Money Order and Telegraph Office.

	Blanchflower George           land owner
	Coleman      William          shoemaker
	Cooper       Rev. John Edward,
	               M.A.           The Rectory
	Falgate      Thos.            farmer & sub-postmstr.
	Fryer        Miss Sarah       schoolmistress
	Fulcher      Robert           farmer
	Gardiner     John             farmer
	George       George           farmer
	Harvey       George           vict. The Chequers
	Holmes       William          farmer
	Jeffries     Robert           farmer, Bayes farm
	Ludkin       John             farmer
	Mickleburgh  Jonas            blacksmith
	Moore        George           farmer
	Potter       George           farmer
	Self         John             farmer

See also the Forncett St Mary parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
August 2001