Genuki Logo Norfolk Welcome   Contents and Search

Norfolk: Forncett St Mary

William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845

[Transcription copyright © Ann Duncan]

FORNCETT ST. MARY, 11 miles S.S.W. of Norwich, and 6 miles N.E. of New Buckenham, has in its parish 305 souls and 731 acres of land, belonging to several copyholders, (fines arbitrary,) and forming the head manor of the Liberty of the Duke of Norfolk, which comprises 127 parishes in this county, and formerly had a court here every three weeks. H. Birkbeck, Esq., and the Girls' Hospital, Norwich, have estates here.

The Church is a rectory, valued in the King's Book at £20, and in 1831, at £982, with that of Forncett* St. Peter annexed to it, in the patronage of the Earl of Effingham, and incumbency of the Rev. John D. Lane, A.M. The incumbent must be a fellow of St. John's College, Cambridge. The tithes here have been commuted for £309 13s. 5d. per annum.

The Town Land, 4A. 31P., received in exchange at the enclosure in 1809, is let for £6 16s., which is applied towards the support of a National School, which was built by the late rector, in 1815, for the two Forncett parishes.


	Bell        Rev. Jph.     curate
	Brewster    Henry         blacksmith
	Clarke      Isaac         shoemaker
	Harvey      Canham        beer seller
	Woods       Eunice        schoolmistress


	Baker       Benj.
	Barnes      George
	Beverley    Michael
	Hurn        James
	Jeffries    Rt.
	Ludkin      John
	Mickleburgh John
	Spicer      John
	Todd        Susan
* Note, in the original the spelling is Fornett.
See also the Forncett St Mary parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
March 2001