FLORDON, 7½ miles S. by W. of Norwich, is in Henstead union, Humbleyard hundred, Swainsthorpe petty sessional division, Norwich county court district and bankruptcy district, Stratton polling district of South Norfolk, Humbleyard rural deanery of Norfolk archdeaconry.
It had 178 inhabitants in 1881, living on 929 acres, and has a rateable value of £1719 5s. There is a common of 33 acres. Most of the parish belongs to Mrs. Brightwell, Baron Brightwell Esq., and to Sir K.H. Kemp, Bart., the lord of the manor.
Here is a station on that branch of the Great Eastern Railway which lies between Norwich and Ipswich.
Rainthorpe Hall gives name to a small manor extending from this into the parishes of Newton-Flotman and Tasburgh, and is the seat and property of Sir Charles Harvey, Bart., who purchased it from Hon. Frederick Walpole. It is a fine old Elizabethan mansion, built in 1503, and situated in pleasant grounds on the west bank of the river Tas or Taes. It was purchased in 1852 by its late proprietor, who has enlarged and magnificently restored it. Most of the windows contain some curious old painted and stained glass, and the rooms are enriched with fine oak carving and antique furniture of the Elizabethan period. The drawing room is especially remarkable for its cabinets containing many rare specimens of Sèvres and Chelsea china. Here are also two splendidly carved bookcases, and a fine collection of family portraits by Kneller, Lely, and others.
The CHURCH (St. Michael) is a small plain edifice, comprising nave, chancel, south porch, and belfry with one bell. Some of the windows are Early English, and the rest Decorated. That at the east end contains some fine old stained glass representing St. Peter. The tower fell down many years ago, and the four bells which it contained are now in the adjoining church of Tasburgh.
Sir K.H. Kemp, Bart., is patron of the rectory, which was valued in the King's Book at £6 13s. 4d., and is now in the incumbency of the Rev. Gascoigne Frederick Whitaker, M.A., who has a neat residence, 30A. of glebe, and a yearly rent of £291, awarded in 1845 in lieu of tithes.
The poor have the dividends of £173 7s. 10d., new 3½ per cent. stock, purchased with £200, left by Thomas Clabburn, in 1815. They have also 20s. a year from Mrs. Brightwell, as the rent of an acre of land.
POST OFFICE at Mrs. Emma Coleman's, sub-postmistress. Arrive at 7.55 a.m., despatched at 5.30 p.m. week days, and 7.45 a.m. on Sundays, viâ Long Stratton, which is nearest Money Order Office. Telegraph messages can be sent and received at Flordon Railway Station.
Banham Robert farmer, Flordon hall, and Saxingham by Holt Bird John farmer and road surveyor Brightwell Henry farmer; h. Thorpe St. Andrew Greenwood Thos. vict. Railway Tavern Harvey Sir Chas. Bart. Rainthorpe hall Harvey Mr John Marshall Solomon frmr. and coal mert Pitcher Mr William Potter William horse slaughterer Sainty Austin Christopr. stationmaster Tillyard Mr Abraham Watson William blacksmith and vict. Black Horse Whitaker Rev. Gascoigne Fredk. M.A. rector Williams Wm. coal and coke merchantRAILWAY STATION - Gt. Eastern three up and four down trains stop when required.
Copyright © Pat Newby.