FLORDON, 7½ miles S. by W. of Norwich, has in its parish 193 souls, and about 900A. of land, mostly belonging to Thos. Brightwell, Esq., and the Rev. Sir Wm. Robt. Kemp, Bart. The latter is lord of the manor, and patron and incumbent of the rectory, valued in the King's Book at £6. 13s. 4d., and now having 30A. of glebe, and a yearly rent of £285. 15s., awarded, in 1845, in lieu of tithes.
The Church (St. Michael,) is a small antique fabric, with a belfry.
The poor have the dividends of £173. 7s. 10d., new 3½ per cent. stock, purchased with £200, left by Thos. Clabburn, in 1815. They also have 20s. a year from T. Brightwell, Esq., as the rent of an acre of land.
Rainthorpe Hall, an Elizabethan mansion, gives name to a small manor, belonging to Mrs. Girdlestone, and extending from this into the parishes of Newton Flotman and Tasburgh.
Andrew Rev. J.N. curate Brightwell Barham corn miller Girdlestone Mrs. Rainthorpe Hall Lansdell Isaac smith and vict., Black Horse farmers Bird John Branford Benj. (& maltster) Fielding Wm. White Hy.
Copyright © Pat Newby.