APPLETON is an ancient decayed parish, 8 miles N.E. by E. of Lynn, lying in the vale between West-Newton and Flitcham, and united with the latter for the maintenance of the poor. It contains only two farm-houses, two cottages, and about 700 acres of land, all belonging to the Hon. Charles Spencer Cowper.
The ancient lords of the manor were the Pastons, whose handsome mansion here was burnt to the ground in 1707, to the great danger of the family, who were in their beds when the conflagration was discovered.
The hall was never re-built, and since then, the small CHURCH, dedicated to St. Mary, has been a deserted ruin, of which, much of the dilapidated tower and walls of the nave still remain. In the latter, a large elder tree has sprung up, among the mutilated flag stones inscribed to the memory of the Paston family.
The living is a discharged vicarage, possessed only of a yearly modus of £8, and now enjoyed by the Rev. W. Allen, of Narborough, who performs divine service in the ruins once a year.
The two farms are occupied by William Griggs, and John and William Wetherell.
Copyright © Pat Newby.