Genuki Logo Norfolk Welcome   Contents and Search

Norfolk: Filby

William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883

[Transcription copyright © Juanita Hadwin]

FILBY is a small parish and straggling village on the Norwich turnpike, 6 miles N.W. of Yarmouth. It is in Flegg union, East Flegg hundred, East and West Flegg petty sessional division, Yarmouth county court district and bankruptcy district, Ormesby polling district of North Norfolk, Flegg rural deanery, and Norwich archdeaconry. It had 670 inhabitants in 1881, living on 1191 acres of land, exclusive of roads, 100A. in plantations, and about 160A. in a fine lake, called Filby Broad, and abounding with fish and wild ducks. It has a rateable value of about £2000.

The Rev. Charles Lucas, B.A., J.P., is chief owner of the soil and lord of the manor, which was anciently held for a family of its own name. He resides at Filby House, a handsome mansion of white brick, erected in 1833. The soil is a rich deep loam, and market gardening is carried on extensively in the parish, large quantities of raspberries and other fruit being annually sent to the London and provincial markets.

The CHURCH, dedicated to All Saints, stands on an eminence above the lake, and has a nave, chancel, north and south aisles, a north porch, and a lofty embattled tower with five bells. It contains a beautiful marble monument (executed by Herrmann, of Dresden, a former pupil of Thorwalsden, of Rome) in memory of the late Charles Lucas, Esq., and there are five stained glass windows in memory of members of his family. The font is of Purbeck marble, and there is a stoup near the north door. The lower part of the rood-screen is finely painted, and exhibits the figures of eight saints. In the small door leading to the belfry, which is strongly covered with cross iron bars, are seven different sized key holes. A restoration of the building was commenced in 1851, and was finished in 1879, at a cost of £3000. The nave was reroofed, and a window of stone and flint put in the tower. The church contains 300 sittings.

The rectory, valued in the King's Books at £11 1s. 6d., and in 1331 [should probably be 1881] at £520, has 24 acres of glebe, and is in the patronage and incumbency of the Rev. Charles Lucas, B.A., J.P. The tithes have been commuted at £597 13s. 8d. per annum.

At the enclosure in 1802, 10A. 1R. 23P. of the marsh was allotted to the poor, and 2R. 4P. for the repairs of the roads.

Here are a small Primitive Methodist Chapel, and an Unitarian Chapel, built and endowed by Henry Daliel, who died in 1710.

A School Board was established here in 1875. Rev. Charles Lucas, B.A., J.P., is the chairman; Rev. J.N. Dredge, hon. secretary; and Charles Broom, clerk. The Schoolroom was built in 1852, at a cost of £200, by the rector, and is attended by about 50 girls and boys.

POST OFFICE at Samuel Walpole's. Letters, viâ Yarmouth, arrive 6.45 a.m., and depart 6.43 p.m. Great Ormsby is the nearest Money Order Office.

	ALLARD     John             market gardener
	ALLARD     William          market gardener
	AMISS      George           shoemaker
	BROOM      Charles          parish clerk
	BUNN       William English  beerhouse
	BURROUGHS  Thomas Proctor   solicitor, Yarmouth: h Hampden lodge
	CHAPMAN    William          butcher & farmer
	CULLEN     Robt.            mkt. grdnr. & warrener
	CULLEN     Robert           carrier
	DECK       Robert           mkt. gardener, fruiterer, and brickmaker
	DIXON      Mrs Mary         butcher & farmer
	DREDGE     Rev. John
	             Norris, B.A.   curate, The Cottage
	ENGLISH    Benj.            shoemkr. & mkt. grdnr
	ENGLISH    John             tailor
	ENGLISH    William          farmer, Heath
	ENGLISH    Zaccheus         mkt. grdnr. & carrier
	GOBELL     Geo.             mkt grdnr. & pork butchr
	GOBELL     Michael          market gardener
	GOODWIN    Charles          market gardener & victualler,
	                              Fox and Hounds
	GOODWIN    George           market gardener
	GREEN      George           farmer
	GREEN      John             farm bailiff
	GREENACRE  Charles          farmer
	HARRIS     John             sadler
	HARRIS     Wm.              farmer and mkt. gardener
	HOWES      Adam             shoemaker
	HUNT       William          blacksmith
	LILLY      George           shoemaker
	LILLY      Isaac            machine owner
	LINGWOOD   James            market gardener
	LUCAS      Rev. Charles,
	             B.A., J.P.     rector, Filby house
	LUCAS      George           solicitor, Yarmouth; h Filby house
	NOCKOLDS   Hy.              mkt. grdnr. and farmer
	NOCKOLDS   Robert           market gardener
	OWLES      Henry            farm bailiff, Heath farm
	PALMER     Edmund           market gardener
	RUDD       Miss Sarah       Board schoolmistrs
	SAUNDERS   William          wheelwright
	SHREEVE    John             blacksmith
	SKOYLES    Howard           plough maker
	TRETT      Edward Elijah    farmer, fruit merchant,
	                              and assistant overseer
	WALPOLE    Samuel           market gardener
	WALPOLE    Samuel jun.      grocer, draper and postmaster
	WARD       John             greengrocer
	WARR       John             market gardener
	WRIGHT     Adam             market gardener
CARRIERS. -- To Yarmouth, Robt. Cullen, Wed. and Sat.; and Zaccheus English, Mon. and Thurs.
From ADDITIONS AND CORRECTIONS on pages 13-16:

In the first paragraph: the rateable value is £3151.
In the seventh paragraph: the schoolroom is now transferred to the Board.
In Directory, take out 'Broom Charles, parish clerk;' for 'Gobell' Geo. & 'Gobell' Michael, read 'Gorbell.'
Take out of Carriers 'Z. English.'


See also the Filby parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
November 2001