FILBY is a small parish and straggling village, on the Norwich turnpike, 6 miles N.W. of Yarmouth. It has 553 inhabitants, and 1191 acres of land, exclusive of roads, 100A. in plantations, and about 160A. in a fine lake, called Filby Broad, and abounding with fish and wild ducks.
The Church, dedicated to All Saints, has a lofty embattled tower and five bells. It stands on an eminence above the lake, and contains a beautiful marble monument, in memory of the late Chas. Lucas, Esq.
The rectory, valued in the King's Books at £11. 1s. 6d., and in 1831, at £520, has 24 acres of glebe, and is in the patronage of the Rev. Charles Lucas, and incumbency of the Rev. Gibson Lucas, who is also chief owner and lord of the manor, which was anciently held by a family of its own name. Filby House, the seat of the rector, is a handsome mansion of white brick, rebuilt in 1833.
At the enclosure in 1802, 10A. 1R. 23P. of the marsh was allotted to the poor, and 2R. 4P. for the repairs of the roads.
Here is a Methodist and also an Unitarian Chapel; the latter was built and endowed by Henry Daliel, who died in 1710, but it is now disused.
The tithes have been commuted for £597. 13s. 8d. per annum.
Boulton Eliz. shopr. (Post Office) Chapman Jph. beerhouse kpr. & smith Chapman Joseph, jun. butcher Everson Jas. schoolmaster & shopkr Everson Mr John Green Robert glazier, painter, &c Hannent John vict. Fox & Hounds Harris Wm. sadler Harrison Wm. S. farrier and shopr Homan Robert joiner Humphrey Benjamin blacksmith Lucas Rev Gibson, & Filby House Rev Charles, B.A. Moore Ann bricklayer Nichols Thomas wheelwright Richards John gamekeeper Shepherd Henry cattle dealer Sherrington Mrs Elizabeth Shreeve John blacksmith Skoyles James iron founder and machine maker Smith Wm. tailor Trett John shopkeeper Trett Thomas swine dealer Walpole Clement S. joiner FARMERS. *are Owners. Chapman John * Parker John * Frosdick Edw. Skoyles Thomas Hewitt John Squires John Humphrey Geo. Thompson Saml. Nicholds Eliz. Waters Samuel * Palmer John Shoemakers. Chase George English Wm. Howard Samuel
Copyright © Pat Newby.