FIELD DALLING, a village and parish, 5½ miles W. of Holt, is in Walsingham union, Fakenham county court district, Norwich bankruptcy district, North Greenhoe petty sessional division and hundred, Hindringham polling district of North Norfolk, Holt rural deanery, and Norwich archdeaconry. It had 341 inhabitants in 1881, living on 1619 acres, and has a rateable value of £2487. The principal owners of the soil are Edward Bowyer Sparke, John Henry Pearson (lord of the manor), Henry Nicholas Savory, and George Dixon, Esqrs., and several smaller owners.
The CHURCH (St. Andrew) comprises nave, north aisle with clerestory, south porch, chancel, and square tower with five bells. All the windows of the chancel are filled with beautiful stained glass; and the piscina and the rood staircase still remain. There was formerly a chapel on the north side of the chancel, and the arch which opened to it may be seen in the wall. The interior of the building was restored and fitted with new open seats, at a cost of £120, in 1859, when a mural painting of St. Christopher was discovered.
The discharged vicarage, valued in the King's Book at £5 8s. 1d., and now at £163, is in the patronage and incumbency of the Rev. Henry Spencer, for whom a good residence was built in 1866. There are 39 acres of glebe, and in 1839 the tithes were commuted at £159 to the vicar and £354 to the impropriator, executors of William Rippingall, Esq.
Here was an alien Priory, or cell, the site of which is a small manor, belonging to the Dean and Chapter of Norwich. In the parish are small chapels belonging to the Wesleyans and the Primitive Methodists, the latter was built in 1871.
A SCHOOL BOARD was established in 1875, who erected a school in 1879, at an outlay of £400. The present board consists of J.H. Pearson, Esq. (chairman), H.N. Savory, Esq. (vice-chairman), and Messrs. J. Massingham, C. Mack, and W. Walker. Mr. Charles Green is the clerk.
The Fuel Allotment, awarded at the enclosure in 1808, is 23A., let for £39 10s. The poor have also 2A. 2R. 26P. of land, left by Christopher Ringer, in 1678, and now let for £6.
WALL LETTER BOX, cleared at 3.30 p.m. Letters arrive by walking post from Holt at 10 a.m., viâ East Dereham. Holt is the nearest Money Order Office.
ARGER Miss Ann CLARK James machine owner CLARK William machine owner COE Mrs Susannah farmer COZENS Thomas victualler, Plough HIGH Francis farmer HODGE William bootmaker HOWELL William farmer HURRELL Saml. parish clk & mole catchr LEEDER Charles grocer and draper MASSINGHAM John frmr. and butcher; Riseborough and Wells, Stiffkey, and Blakeney MAY Henry farmer PAGE John btchr. & vict. Jolly Farmers PEARSON John Hy. frmr. & land owner SANDS Thomas farmer SAVORY Hy. Nicholas frmr & landownr SMITH Arthur Harry Board schlmstr SPENCER Rev. Henry vicar STANFORD Albert baker STONEX J. & W. wheelwrights STONEX John B. (J. & W.) STONEX Wm. Thomas (J. & W.), and grocer and draper WALKER Robert farmer WALKER William farmer WRIGHT Frederick cattle dealer WRIGHT William farmer WYER Thomas blacksmith
Copyright © Pat Newby.