FIELD-DALLING, a village and parish, 5 miles W. of Holt, has 403 souls, and about 1,600 acres of land, belonging to the Rev. W. Upjoin [sic], Messrs. John Sayers, (lord of the manor) E.B. Manning, W.L. Rix, and several smaller owners.
The CHURCH (St. Andrew,) has a tower and five bells, and the living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the King's Book at £5 8s. 1d., in the patronage of the Rev. Arthur Bellman, and incumbency of the Rev. Wm. Upjoin [sic], A.M. The tithes were commuted in 1839, for £354 per annum to the impropriator, and £159 to the vicar.
Here was an alien Priory, or cell, the site of which is a small manor, belonging to the Dean and Chapter of Norwich.
The Fuel Allotment, awarded at the enclosure, in 1808, is 24A. 1R. 5P., let for £20. The poor have also 2A. 2R. 26P. of land, left by Christopher Ringer, in 1678, and now let for £3 15s.
Crafer Henry schoolmaster Howman William grocer and draper Knights Robert blacksmith Loades John blacksmith Massingham John butcher Porter Robert beerhouse, Plough Proudfoot Fdk. Watson grocer, &c. Rush James victualler, Jolly Farmers Stonex John wheelwright Tuthill John corn miller Upjohn Rev. William, A.M. vicar Walker William, jun. surgeon FARMERS. Shoemakers. Fisher Robert Moy Theophs. Howes William Rivett Thomas Nash William Sayers John Tailors. Walker William Wells Henry Brown John Wright Ann Sewell William
Copyright © Pat Newby.