FERSFIELD, 4½ miles W.N.W. of Diss, has in its parish 295 inhabitants, and 1359A. 2R. 31P. of land, partly belonging to the Duke of Norfolk, the lord of the manor, in which the fines are arbitrary. The common was enclosed in 1799.
The Church (St. Andrew,) contains effigies of two of its founders or rebuilders, - Sir Robert and Wm. Du Blois. The chancel was rebuilt in 1844.
A blue flag is inscribed to the memory of the Rev. Francis Blomefield, who was rector here from 1729 till his death, in 1752. He was born here in 1705, and here he wrote and also printed all those parts of his "Essay towards a History of Norfolk," which were published before his death, after which the remaining parts were written by the Rev. Charles Parkin, of Oxborough, and, after his death, published by Mr. Whittingham, bookseller, at Lynn, in 1769 and 1775; the whole forming five folio volumes, since re-printed by W. Miller, of London, in eleven volumes, royal octavo.
The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £6. 6s. 8d., is in the patronage of Frederick Nassau, of Essexf [sic], and incumbency of the Rev. Benedict Perring, M.A., who has a good residence, 60A. 2R. 21P. of glebe, and a yearly rent of £375, awarded in 1838, in lieu of tithes.
The Church Land, given by Jeffrey Ellingham, in 1493, is nearly 22A., let for £34.
Perring Rev. B., M.A. Rectory Burcham Benjamin shoemaker Cason Samuel butcher Garrod Robert joiner Mortimer Henry W. gent., Alger House farmers Alger John Bradstreet Wm. Day John Drake Charles (Lodge) Fulcher J. Garrod Robert Hands Jacob Lovack Ephraim Muskett Charles (Hall) Page William Palmer Richard Stamp Thomas Woods George
Copyright © Pat Newby.