Genuki Logo Norfolk Welcome   Contents and Search

Norfolk: Felthorpe

William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845

[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]

FELTHORPE, a large parish and scattered village, 7 miles N.W. by N. of Norwich, has several neat houses, 574 inhabitants, and 2242 acres of land, with several flourishing plantations. Here are four manors, the largest of which is a member of Lord Stafford's manor of Costessey, and consists of copyholds, subject to arbitrary fines. The other manors have for their respective lords, the Rector, the Bishop, and W.H. Fellowes, Esq., but the soil is held by a number of proprietors.

The Church (St. Margaret,) is a rectory, valued in the King's books at £4, and in 1831, at £190. It has 23A. of glebe, of which ten were purchased with £200 of Queen Anne's bounty, obtained in 1759. The Bishop of Norwich is the patron, and the Rev. Richard Brickdale the incumbent. The tithes were commuted, in 1841, for £271. 4s. per annum; and a new rectory house has been recently erected.

The Fuel Allotment, 50A., was awarded at the enclosure, in 1780. The poor cut turf upon it, and the feeding is let for £6 a year. In 1687, Wm. Brereton left two tenements and two acres of land for the residence and sole benefit of two poor aged widows; and he bequeathed his other land and house in Felthorpe, and £100, to be invested for the under-mentioned uses.

Besides the almshouse and two acres attached to it, there is now belonging to this charity, a double cottage and 31A. of land, let for £29. 14s. per annum, of which £2. 12s., in weekly sums of 1s., is paid to the two almswomen; 16s. for a sermon; 16s. for land-tax; and the remainder, after paying for the repairs of the cottages and the church, is distributed among the poor parishioners in coals, blankets, &c.

	  Brickdale  Rev Richard      Rectory
	  Bowles     John             horsebreaker
	  Furniss    John             carpenter
	  Gilham     Wm.              bricklayer
	  Howe       Richd.           joiner & vict. Mariners
	  Massingham Henry            horse dealer
	  Miller     John             joiner and parish clerk
	  Moore      Robert           vict. Bull
	  Newton     Thomas           shoemaker
	  Wade       Clarke           blacksmith
	  West       Christopher      corn miller

	                 (* are Owners.)

	* Austin     John           * Kendall    Anthy.
	  Barnard    Henry          * Larwood    Robt.
	* Betts      Money            Moore      Robert
	  Buttifant  Jacob            Norman     Eliz.
	  Crickmore  Robt.            Pratt      Richard
	  Drane      James            Punt       Elizabeth
	  Fox        John           * Smith      Wm.
	              (Saw Mills)     Tuck       Samuel
	* Hastings   Wm.              Walker     Isaac
	  Howlett    Eliz.            West       Christopher
	* Ives       James            Woodrow    Richd.


	  Gayley     George
	  Gilham     Eliz.
	  Larwood    Robert
	  Smith      Samuel
	  Turner     John

See also the Felthorpe parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
October 2014