Genuki Logo Norfolk Welcome   Contents and Search

Norfolk: Emneth

William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883

[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]

EMNETH is a large village near the Wisbech Canal, 14 miles S.W. of Lynn, and 2 miles S.S.E. of Wisbech - but its parish extends close to the latter town - is in Freebridge Marshland hundred, and petty sessional division, Wisbech union and county court district, Lynn bankruptcy district, Walsoken polling district of West Norfolk, Wisbech rural deanery and archdeaconry, and Ely diocese. It has a rateable value of about £6528. In 1881 it contained 1001 inhabitants, and has about 3449 acres of fertile land, belonging to a number of freeholders and copyholders, many of whom are residents.

F.M. Metcalfe, Esq., of Inglethorpe hall, is lord of the manor of Hakbech and Inglethorpe, which anciently belonged to the Peytons, who resided at Hakbech hall, a handsome mansion, which was taken down in 1806. Sir Adam De Hakbech held a manor of the Prior of Lewes, and founded the chantry of St. Mary in 1277, on the site of the present south aisle of the chancel. Oxburgh hall was formerly the residence of the Oxburgh and Hewar families.

Emneth station, on the Lynn and Wisbech Railway, is in the adjoining parish of Walsoken.

The CHURCH (St. Edmund) is an ancient edifice, comprising nave, aisles, chancel, and square tower with five bells, and was restored and reseated in 1866 - the body, by subscription, at a cost of £1718, and the chancel by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, at a cost of £420. The church is mostly of the 15th century, but the arches in the east side of the chancel are of the 12th century. Several of the windows are filled with beautiful stained glass, and the rich rood screen dates from the 15th century.

There are several mural monuments; the indent of a splendid brass of a cross-legged knight, probably Sir Adam de Hakbech; and a fine altar tomb with effigies of Sir Thomas Hewar, his lady, and their infant son, executed by Nicholas Stone, master mason to James the First, who had £95 for it.

The vicarage was consolidated with that of Elm, in the Isle of Ely, till 1858, when it was formed by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners into a separate living. It is in the patronage of the Bishop of Ely, in whose diocese it is still situated. The Rev. Edward Henry Lovelock, M.A., is the vicar, and has a good residence in the Elizabethan style, erected in 1859, at a cost of £1500. The tithes of Emneth have been commuted for the following yearly rents: viz. £8 11s. 4d. to the rector of Walsoken, £405 to the incumbent, and £355 to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, for the augmentation of poor livings.

Thomas Squier in 1692 left a house and 26 acres of land for educational purposes for the parishes of Elm and Emneth. The School is at Elm, and is now a public elementary school for boys of the two parishes, and the rent, £74 per annum, is applied towards the expenses of the school, as per new scheme dated 1874.

The rent of the town land, 1A. 1R., is applied with the church rates.

Here is a National School, built in 1859, and attended by 129 girls and infants.

The Wesleyans, Wesleyan Reformers, and Primitive Methodists have each a small chapel in the parish, all built in 1854.

POST OFFICE at Mrs. Mary Hunsley's. Letters arrive at 5.30 a.m., and are despatched at 7.30 p.m., viâ Wisbech, which is the nearest Money Order and Telegraph Office. There is a wall letter-box at Hungate, cleared at 6.30 p.m.

	Bailey     Uriah                market gardener
	Bailey     Uriah, jun.          market gardener
	Bailey     William Cole         farmer
	Balding    Alfred William       manager
	Balding    John Smithee         pig dealer
	Baley      Richard              farmer
	Barker     George               farmer
	Bird       Frederick            farmer
	Burgess    Thomas               farmer
	Butcher    Richard Bland        blacksmith
	Cousins    David                blacksmith and beerhouse, Hungate
	Crofts     Henry                victualler, Blacksmith's Arms;
	                                  and blacksmith
	Dearlove   Mrs Charlotte        Oxburgh hall
	Dearlove   Thos. D.             frmr. Oxburgh hall
	Diggle     Robert               shopkeeper, Hungate
	Doubleday  Frederick            farmer
	Doubleday  Jno.                 frmr. & market gardener
	Drew       Robert               farmer
	Ekins      George William       farmer, Fen
	Frusher    Thomas               farmer, Hungate
	Frusher    Thos.                frmr. Hawkin's Hole
	Gibson     William              farmer
	Goodger    Anthony              farmer
	Goose      Leonard              victualler, Wheatsheaf;
	                                  and farmer, Hungate
	Gray       John                 market gardener
	Gray       Thomas               hawker
	Gray       William              corn miller
	Green      Robert               farmer
	Gromitt    John                 farmer
	Guttridge  John                 market gardener
	Guttridge  William              market gardener
	Handley    Henry                farmer
	Handley    Hugh                 farmer
	Hanslip    James                farmer
	Harvey     Robert               market gardener
	Hill       John                 farmer
	Hopkin     Abraham              manager
	Humphrey   Benjamin Stockdale   farmer, The Grange
	Hunsley    Mrs Mary             postmistress
	Hunsley    Robert               parish clerk
	Hunt       Mr William
	Hunter     James                farmer
	Hunter     James, jun.          farmer
	Hunter     Joseph               carpenter
	Hunter     William              market gardener
	Jackson    John                 rope manufacturer
	Lilly      John                 bricklayer
	Lines      John                 market gardener
	Lines      Thomas               bricklayer
	Long       Henry                carpenter and builder
	Lovelock   Rev. Edward Hy. M.A. vicar
	Lynn       David                farmer
	Lynn       Edward               market gardener
	Lynn       John                 farmer & market gardener
	Markham    George               blacksmith
	Martin     James                farmer and landowner, The Firs
	Martin     James, jun.          farmer
	Massham    Alfred               bricklayer
	Mayhew     Jno.                 vict. Duke of Wellington
	Metcalfe   Frederick Moorehouse,
	             Esq., J.P.         Inglethorpe hall
	Neales     Mrs Theresa          corn miller and merchant;
	                                  and at Wisbech
	Newling    Wm. Alfred           farmer, Dial hs
	Oldham     Miss Emma            schoolmistress
	Palmer     Moses                farmer, Trafford house
	Passlow    James                pig dealer
	Racey      John                 grocer and hawker
	Racey      Wm.                  grocer, baker, and draper
	Ream       Smith                farmer
	Robb       Samuel               farmer
	Robb       Mr William
	Rowe       Edward               farmer
	Rowe       James                farmer
	Sedgfield  George               farm bailiff
	Sharp      Mr John Robert
	Sharp      Mrs Mary Ann         market gardener
	Sharp      Robert Lynn          farmer
	Shepherd   William George       corn miller
	Shepperson Mrs Jane Ann
	Shirekings William              farm bailiff
	Smithee    Mrs Rebecca          frmr. Hungate
	Smithee    Robert               bootmaker
	Stockings  Mrs Thomas
	Tagg       John                 farmer
	Terrington John                 farmer, Hungate
	Terrington Zachariah            farmer
	Thompson   John                 vict. Queen's Head
	Thompson   John                 farmer
	Thompson   William              beerhouse
	Tingay     Frederick            farmer
	Towler     Joseph               farmer and landowner Hungate
	Utteridge  Joseph               chimney sweeper
	Wade       Jacob Tomlinson      farmer
	Ward       George               victualler, Swan
	Ward       John                 farmer
	Watson     Mr James
	Wright     John Newcome         farmer, Hungate house

See also the Emneth parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
March 2010