Genuki Logo Norfolk Welcome   Contents and Search

Norfolk: Emneth

William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845

[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]

EMNETH is a large village near the Smeeth, on the east side of the river Nene, 14 miles S.W. of Lynn, and 1½ mile S.S.E. of Wisbech; but its parish extends close to the latter town, and comprises 1,065 inhabitants, and about 3,500 acres of fertile land, belonging to a number of freeholders and copyholders, many of whom are residents; but Charles Metcalfe, Esq., of Wisbech, is lord of the manor, which anciently belonged to the Peyton, Oxburgh, and Heward families.

The CHURCH is an ancient edifice, dedicated to St. Edmund, and has a fine altar-tomb, with effigies of Sir Thos. Heward, his lady, and infant son. The benefice is a curacy, which is consolidated with the vicarage of Elm, - a parish on the opposite side of the river, in the Isle and Bishopric of Ely, Cambridgeshire, where there is a Free School for the two parishes. The joint livings were valued in 1831, at £709; but the incumbent enjoys also the sinecure rectory, valued in the same year at £1,641 per annum. The tithes of Emneth have recently been commuted for the following yearly rents, viz:- £8 11s. 4d. to the rector of Walsoken; £215 to the incumbent; and £545 to the Ecclesiastic Commissioners, for the augmentation of poor livings.

Emneth is a peculiar jurisdiction of the Bishop of Ely, who was the patron. The Dean and Chapter of Ely have now the patronage, and the Rev. Jeremiah Jackson of Elm, is the incumbent. The rent of the town-land, 1A. 1R., is applied with the poor rates.

	  Forth      Wm.                 miller, baker, & shopr.
	  Hemsley    Robert              parish-clerk
	  Rutherford Edw.                butcher & vict., Swan
	  Smithee    Chas.               vict., Wheat Sheaf
	  Smithee    William             shoemaker
	  Whitaker   Henry               shopkeeper, (and Outwell)
	  Wilkinson  John                miller; h. Elm

	     Blacksmiths.                   BEER HOUSES.

	  Butcher    Richard             Barker     Thomas
	  Mote       Thomas              Bunnell    James
	                                 Frusher    Mary
	     Wheelwrights.               Hopkins    Mary
	                                 Hobson     Jonathan
	  Goodson    Joseph              Saunders   William
	  Racey      William             Terrington Z.
	  Walker     Thomas

	                      FARMERS.
	           * are owners, and 2 at Hollow End

	* Bird       Thomas            * Heseldine  Wm., Oxburgh Hall
	2 Bird       Robert              Johnson    Robert
	2 Bird       William             Lent       William
	  Courtman   Robt.             2 Matthews   Wm.
	  Day        William             Neale      Thomas Newsham
	  Drew       John              * Neale      William
	  Ekins      Geo., Fen           Neale      Wm., jun.
	* Goodger    John                Sharp      William
	  Gray       Robert              Stimson    Thomas, Hagbach Hall
	* Greaves    Eml.                Ward       Richard
	* Haynes     William           2 Westrop    Wm.

See also the Emneth parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
December 2002