He is also patron and incumbent of the Church, which has a square tower and five bells, and has in its east window figures of Hugh de Hastings and his wife, and in its chancel a mutilated brass, in memory of Sir Anthony Browne. The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £5. 11s. 8d., has a yearly rent of £330 awarded in 1841, in lieu of tithes.
The Church Lands, which have been vested in trust since before 1560, consist of 17A. 1R. 28P., let for £16. 4s. 4d., which is applied in the service of the church. The Camping Close (1A. 2R.,) is part of these lands, but is occasionally used by the parishioners as a play ground.
For distributions of money and bread, the poor parishioners have the following yearly doles, viz. 10s. out of the church land, left by John Leman; £1. 15s. from land left by John Starling; 21s. from land enclosed from the waste; and £9s. 16s. 8d. [sic] from £327. 17s. 4d. three per cent. consuls, left by Thos. Ward, in 1806.
Blyth Robert joiner Browne Rev Wm. curate (h. Lyng) Eaton Rev Richard rector, Elsing Hall (Browne) A.B. Farrow Thomas carpenter Hartt Thomas Grounds shopkeeper Kent John Prince joiner and vict. Mermaid Mack Mary Ann beerhouse keeper Millett Wm. blacksmith Rudd Samuel wheelwright Scott George corn miller Sharman Peter cattle dealer Weir Charles cattle dealer Wiseman Wm. shopkeeper FARMERS. Andrews Samuel Lewell John Filby Wm. Lewell Samuel Goward Wm. Lovett Daniel Goward Wm. jun. Miles Mrs Isbill John Weir James
Copyright © Pat Newby.