Genuki Logo Norfolk Welcome   Contents and Search

Norfolk: North Elmham

Hunt's Directory of East Norfolk with Part of Suffolk, 1850

[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]

ELMHAM, or NORTH ELMHAM, formerly a fortified city, and the favourite seat of the early Bishops of Norwich, is a well built village, having a station on the Norfolk railway, 5 miles N. of East Dereham, and 18 miles N.W. by W. of Norwich. The castle stood on an elevation above the village, and was the manor house of the martial Bishop Spencer, who by permission of Richard II. had it embattled and converted into a fortress, with moats, intrenchments, and other military defences.

In the parish are two extensive and well wooded parks, in one of which, on an eminence above a lake, is Elmham Hall, the beautiful seat of Lord Sondes. The building is a large mansion of brick, and the park - abounding in deer and other game - is thickly studded with stately trees, and irrigated by the waters flowing from a little brook, which feeds the lake and falls into the Waveney.

Here rising boughs, with summer's pride, adorn
The limpid lake, the ever verdant lawn,
And softly stealing from the woody lair
Out stalks the deer, or frisks the timid hare,
Whilst gently perching on the leafy spray
Each feather'd warbler tunes his fav'rite lay.

The parish, rich in rural charms, comprises an area of 4400 acres, and the population in 1841 was 1219. Post Office, at William Diggens's. Letters delivered at 8 a.m. and despatched to Norwich, and all parts, via Dereham, at 6 p.m.

	Sondes     Lord               the Hall

	Atkinson   Mr. Charles
	Bell       Philip             saddler
	Bensley    George             shoemaker
	Bradfield  Chas.              painter, glazier, &c.
	Bradfield  Frances            'King's Head Inn'
	Brunton    Benj.              painter, glazier, &c.
	Bryant     William            grocery dealer
	Calver     William            shoemaker
	Chapling   John               tailor
	Clarke     Henry              shoemaker
	Cook       Elijah             grocery dealer
	Cook       Jeremiah           cooper
	Cooper     John               tailor
	Copsey     Thomas             pump maker
	Cushing    Francis            bricklayer & bldr.
	Diggens    Wm.                baker & confectioner
	Elmer      Jno.               tailor, registrar of
	                                births and deaths
	Emms       Hy. jun.           veterinary surgeon
	Fenn       James              'King William'
	Fisher     Mrs. Money
	Goshawk    Henry              baker
	Hoe        Philip             grocery dealer
	Howell     Robert             tailor
	Jewell     Samuel             veterinary surgeon
	Knatchbull Rev. Henry Edward
	Lambert    Charles            gardener
	Mason      Mrs. Sarah
	Mayston    John               butcher
	Monument   John               blacksmith
	Neal       James              bricklayer
	Nicholson  George             butcher
	Nicholson  George             grocery dealer
	Norton     Edw.               'the George & Dragon'
	Norton     Robert             miller
	Pratt      Jonathan           grocer and draper
	Ransom     Peter Parlett      surgeon
	Reynolds   John F.            relieving officer
	Rogers     Rd. & Sophia       natl. school
	Sands      William            grocer and draper
	Seaman     Robert             steward to Lord Sondes
	Sussens    Edward             grocery dealer and carpenter
	Tombling   Benjamin           shoemaker
	Tombling   Robert             carpenter
	Tombling   William            carpenter
	Tuck       Thomas             baker
	Twiddy     George             shoemaker
	Upton      William            bricklayer
	Utting     Thomas             wheelwright
	Watts      Robert B.          porter merchant
	Ward       James              blacksmith
	Webb       John               basket & sieve maker
	Wells      John               saddler
	Willby     Samuel             tailor
	Willimont  Mr. Howlett
	Yull       Peter              tinman and brazier

	                       Farmers.

	Bird       John               Englebright Thomas
	Bradfield  Charles            Hawes       William
	Bradfield  James              Howell      Dinah
	Bradfield  Fisher             Hubbard     James
	Bradfield  Frances            Mayston     Joshua
	Bradfield  William            Monument    John
	Bream      Thomas Rudd        Norton      Robert
	Bunn       James              Rix         William,
	Eastoe     William                          Old Hall
	Elmer      Robert,            Whiter      William
	             Grange farm      Willimont   John Kirby, (and
	Elmer      William                          coal dealer)
CARRIERS to Lynn, Tombling, Mon.; to Norwich, Spooner; and also Tombling, both on Friday.
RAILWAY CONVEYANCE. - Trains several times daily to all places on the Eastern Counties and Norfolk lines.


See also the North Elmham parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
September 2008