[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
ELLINGHAM (LITTLE) is a village and parish, 2½ miles S.S.W. of Hingham, and 5 miles E.S.E. of Watton, in Wayland hundred, petty sessional division and union, Attleborough county court district, Norwich bankruptcy district, Watton polling district of West Norfolk, Breccles rural deanery, and Norwich archdeaconry. It contains 318 inhabitants, living on 1518A. 1R. 10P. of land, of a rateable value of £2642.
The soil belongs to William Colgrave and John C. Tingey, Esqrs.; the former of whom is lord of the manor, in which the fines are arbitrary. The Hall, a handsome mansion of red and white brick, in the Italian style, is the seat of Mrs. Tingey, and was built in 1855. In its pleasure grounds is an ornamental clock tower.
The CHURCH (St. Peter) is a small structure, comprising nave, chancel, and south-western tower with one bell. Several of its windows are enriched with stained glass; and the chancel was restored by the rector in 1863. The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £7 1s. 10d., and augmented in 1724-6 with £200 of Queen Anne's Bounty and £200 given by the Rev. J. Carter, is now worth nearly £700 per annum, with the vicarage of Great Ellingham annexed, in the patronage and incumbency of the Rev. S.W. Turner, who has here 36A. of glebe, a good residence, and a yearly rent-charge of £430.
The School is attended by about 40 children.
The Town Lands, 22A., are let for £57, and are managed by trustees, in accordance with a scheme from the Charity Commissioners. The Fuel Allotment, awarded at the enclosure in 1769, is 40A., on which the poor cut furze, but the herbage is let for £20 a year. The parish clerk has 2A. of land, given by an unknown donor. In 1860 a former rector, the Rev. Samuel Colby, left the interest of £500 for church repairs.
LETTER BOX. Letters arrive at 7.30 a.m., and are despatched at 7.40, viâ Attleborough. Hingham is the nearest Post, Money Order and Telegraph Office.
Allen Charles farmer Allison Miles farmer Askew Charles farm bailiff Beales James farmer Brunton Wm. farmer and parish clerk Chapman Samuel farmer Clarke Wm. Alfred farmer & overseer Colman Thos. A. farmer; h Rockland Filby George shopkeeper Martin Mrs Martin James vict. The Crown Scent Alfred farmer Starke Robert farmer Turner Rev. S.W. The Rectory Wade John farmer Walker Geo. shopkeeper & shoemaker Warren Daniel William Cocking farmer, Hall farmer [sic] Warren John farmer
CARRIERS - John Rayner, from Rockland to Norwich Wed. and Sat.; John Dye, from Rockland to Norwich Tues. and Fri.
See also the Little Ellingham parish page.
Copyright © Pat Newby.