[Transcription copyright © Mike Bristow]
ELLINGHAM, (LITTLE,) is a village and parish, 2½ miles S.S.W. of Hingham, and 5 miles E.S.E. of Watton, containing 250 souls, and 1516A of land, belonging to several owners, the largest of whom are Wm. Colgrave, Esq., and the Rev. Samuel Colby. The former is lord of the manor, (fines arbitrary,) and the latter is patron and incumbent of the rectory, valued in K.B. at £7. 1. 10d., and augmented in 1724-6, with £200 of Q.A.B., and £200, given by the Rev. J. Cater.
The tithes were commuted, in 1839, for £420, but the rectory is consolidated with the vicarage of Great Ellingham, and the joint livings were valued in 1831 at £735 per annum.
The Church (St. Peter) is a small fabric, with a tower and one bell. The Town Lands, 22A., are let for £27, which is applied with the poor rates. A house belonging to the parish, is occupied by paupers. The Fuel Allotment, awarded at the enclosure, in 1769, is 40A., on which the poor cut furze and ling, but the herbage is let for £18 a year. The parish clerk has 1½A. of land, given by an unknown donor.
Colby Rev. Samuel Rectory Harman Joseph vict., Crown Vince Wm. blacksmith Wade Wm. carpenter
Allison Miles Bowles Wm. jun. and sen. Bowles John Cocking Danl. Wm. Tingay Thos. (owner) Starke Robert
See also the Ellingham, Little parish page.
Copyright © Mike Bristow.