Genuki Logo Norfolk Welcome   Contents and Search

Norfolk: Great Ellingham

William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883

[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]

ELLINGHAM (GREAT) is a scattered village, 2 miles N.W. of Attleborough, and its parish is in Wayland union, Attleborough county court district, Norwich bankruptcy district, Guiltcross and Shropham petty sessional division, Shropham hundred, Attleborough polling district of South Norfolk, Rockland rural deanery, and Norfolk archdeaconry. It had 652 inhabitants in 1881, living on 2733 acres, and has a rateable value of £5014.

The soil is mostly the property of Lord Walsingham and Messrs. George Barnard, Henry Norton, and George Tyrell Tyrell [sic]. Lord Walsingham is lord of the largest manor, Bury hall, in which the fines are arbitrary, and the rest of the parish is in Ellingham hall and the Rectory manors, of which Thomas Lombe Taylor, Esq., is lord. The Hall, an ancient moated farmhouse, formerly the seat of Sir Roger Potts, Kt., is the property of George Barnard, Esq., but is now occupied by Henry Cobon, Esq. A remarkably fine stone celt and a brass battle axe were discovered some years ago on the estate of the late R. Barnard, Esq.

The CHURCH (St. James the Apostle) is a large structure, comprising nave, aisles, chancel, and square tower with spire and five bells. The piscina and sedilia still remain. The vicarage, valued in the King's Book at £6 5s. 10d., was augmented in 1722-3 with £200 of Queen Anne's Bounty and £200 given by the Rev. J. Cator. It is consolidated with the rectory of Little Ellingham (which see). The tithes of this parish were commuted in 1843 for about £430 to the impropriator, T.L. Taylor, Esq.: £242 to the vicar, about £60 a year to the vicar of Carbrook, £95 to the representatives of the late Rev. R. Ingram, and about £70 to the Rector of Little Ellingham.

Here are two chapels belonging to the Baptists and Wesleyans. The former has an endowment of £30 a year, and was built in 1824, and enlarged in 1848.

The Fuel Allotment, 54A. 1R. 32P., was awarded at the enclosure in 1799, and is at present let for about £73.

There is a NATIONAL SCHOOL, attended by 60 scholars, and supported by voluntary contributions. There is also a SCHOOL BOARD, having under its control a school for the accommodation of 60 or 65 children.

POST OFFICE at Mr. Edmund Fox's. Letters are received at 4.50 a.m., and despatched at 8.40 p.m., viâ Attleborough, which is the nearest Money Order and Telegraph Office.

	Bailey       George           farmer and owner
	Barlow       George           farmer
	Bowden       Robert           farmer
	Bowles       Walter           farmer; h Rockland
	Brighton     William          farmer
	Butler       George           miller and baker
	Caddy        Thomas           farmer
	Carter       Ellis            threshing machine owner and
	                                victualler, The Chequers
	Carter       James            farmer and drill-owner
	Carter       William Charles  schoolmaster
	Childerhouse Robt.            frmr.; h Attleboro'
	Clarke       William          farmer
	Cobon        Henry            farmer, Ellingham hall
	Colman       Henry            farmer
	Colman       Thomas Hovel     farmer; h Rockland, St. Peter's
	Dixon        F.               grocer, draper and general dealer
	Dixon        Samuel           farmer
	Downes       John             farmer
	Ducker       James            coal dealer & shopkpr
	Earle        Richard          farmer
	Edwards      George           shoemaker
	Fox          Edmund           tailor and postmaster
	Frost        Robert           farmer and owner
	Grice        Frederick        farmer
	Hart         Mark             farmer and fowl dealer
	Houchen      Francis          bricklayer & farmer
	Houchen      Jonathan         farmer
	Jude         George           farmer
	Kerrison     Wm.              bricklayer and farmer
	Kybird       Wm. Robt.        wheelwright & crpntr
	Lane         Benj.            vict. The Prince of Wales
	Lane         James            farmer and owner
	Lebbell      Robert           blacksmith and vict. The Crown Inn
	Lebbell      Robert Barnard   blacksmith
	Lebbell      Wm.              carpenter and builder, and agent
	                                for Liverpool, London, and Globe
	                                Insurance Co
	Leverington  Jas.             frmr.; h Attleborough
	Mace         John             farmer, vict. and farrier,
	                                The Queen's Head
	Mann         Jno. Edwd.       frmr. & (h) Rockland
	Mathews      James            farmer and owner
	Meek         John             blacksmith
	Neal         Alfred           farmer
	Nurse        Jacob            farm bailiff
	Painter      George           farmer
	Pease        Robert           farmer
	Reynolds     William          farrier
	Rivett       Charles          farmer
	Rivett       Mrs Mary         farmer
	Rushbrooke
	  Bros.                       farmers; & Scoulton
	Rushbrooke   Alban            farmer (Rushbrooke Bros.) Berry hall
	Rushbrooke   Ernest Edwin     (Rushbrooke Bros.) Berry hall
	Saunders     Mrs A.           schoolmistress
	Self         Leonard Wm.      farmer and dealer
	Spurgeon     Robert           shoemaker
	Stubings     Charles          butcher and farmer
	Surrage      Charles          farmer
	Toll         Rev. James       (retired Baptist)
	Tufts        William          fowl dealer
	Warren       Harry            harness mkr. & shopkpr
	Wilkins      Mrs Anne         shopkeeper
	Wright       Samuel           farmer & fowl dealer
	Wright       William          farmer

CARRIERS - Jno. Raynor passes through from Rockland to Norwich Wed. & Sat.; John Dye from Rockland to Norwich Tues. and Fri.


See also the Great Ellingham parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
June 2014