[Transcription copyright © Pamela Littlefair]
ELLINGHAM (GREAT) is a dispersed village, 2 miles N.W. of Attleborough. Its parish has 838 inhabitants, and 2530 acres of land, mostly the property of Lord Walsingham, and Messrs. Benj. Barnard and Wm. Norton; the former of whom is lord of the largest manor, called Bury Hall, (fines arbitrary,) and the rest of the parish is in the manors of the Rectory and Ellingham Hall, the latter of which is an ancient moated farm-house.
The CHURCH (St. James the Apostle,) is a large fabric, with a square tower, a spire, and five bells. The vicarage, valued in the King's Book at £6. 5. 10d., was augmented in 1722-3, with £200 of Queen Anne's bounty, and 200 given by the Rev. J. Cator. It is consolidated with the rectory of Little Ellingham, in the patronage and incumbency of the Rev. S. Colby, as noticed at page 365 [which is the entry for Little Ellingham]. The tithes were commuted in 1843. The vicar of Carbrooke has the great tithes of 200 acres, and the rest are in Chancery.
Here is a Baptist, and also a Wesleyan Chapel, and the former, built in 1820, has an endowment of £30 per annum. The Fuel Allotment, 54A. 1R. 32P., was awarded at the enclosure, in 1799, and is let for £90 a year.
The POST OFFICE is at Jas. Rose's. Letters daily from Attleborough.
Barnard John Robert gentleman Barnard Lydia vict. Crown Dennis Benj. parish clerk Hooke John shoemaker & currier Houchen S. shoemaker Lebbell Robert vict. Chequers Leeder Wm. sen. and jun. farriers Poll Robert gardener Powell Rev Alfred (Baptist min.) Sayer John corn miller Starke James shoemaker Stebbings Michael butcher Bakers. Grocers, &c. Lane Aaron Rose James Warren Wm. Willemer Richd. Beerhouses. Wheelwrights. Bartram John Brooks William Rivett Jonathan Chaplain Edwd. and William Blacksmiths. Castleton Jonas Lebbell Robert Yeomans Roger FARMERS. Adams John Barnard B. (Hall) Barnard John Barnard James (& corn mert.) Colman Edward Colman James Downes Wm. Lynn William Mann Mary Rose John Warren Samuel (and tanner)
See also the Great Ellingham parish page.
Copyright © Pat Newby.