[Transcription copyright © Mike Bristow]
ELLINGHAM, on the north bank of the Waveney, 2 miles E.N.E. of Bungay, and 4 miles S. of Loddon, is a parish in Loddon and Clavering union and petty sessional division, Beccles county court district, Yarmouth bankruptcy district, Clavering hundred, Loddon polling district of South Norfolk, Brooke rural deanery, and Norfolk archdeaconry.
It had 340 inhabitants in 1881, living on 1337 acres, and has a rateable value of £2384 16s., and a gross rental of £2868 5s. Here is a station on the Waveney Valley Railway. Celts and other flint implements have been occasionally found in this parish. The Hall, a substantial residence, containing a fine collection of stuffed bears and tigers shot by the late Colonel Smith in India, is situated in a small park, and is the seat of Henry Smith, Esq., M.A., J.P., who is lord of the manor of Ellingham Nevills. Mr. John Tallent and some others have small estates here. Here was another called Stockton-with-the-Soke, but the copyholders have been enfranchised.
The CHURCH (St. Mary) appears to have been erected in the twelfth century, and consists of nave, chancel, south aisle, south porch, and square embattled tower with five bells. In the chancel are sedilia for two priests, and a piscina. Here is also an oil painting of St. Peter in the Prison, given by a former owner of the Hall. In the church are three stained glass windows. The east window, which is in memory of the late rector, being stained in 1868. In the north aisle is a curious old carved head and a bishop's crozier. The living is a rectory, valued in K.B. at £12, in the patronage of Mrs. Emily French, and incumbency of the Rev. William Day French, M.A., who has here 72 acres of glebe, a yearly rent-charge of £339, awarded in 1840 in lieu of tithes, and a commodious residence built in 1823 and enlarged by the late rector.
The NATIONAL SCHOOL, built in 1865, will accomodate 70 children. The Town Lands, mostly granted in the 16th century for the repair of the church and the relief of the poor, by the wills of Richard Chamberlain and others, and partly by allottment and exchange at the enclosure in 1806, consist of about 31 acres, with two cottages, now let for about £53 a year. The Poor's Allotment, 20 acres, was awarded as the enclosure, and is now let for £18 per annum. The poor of Ellingham have £28 4s. 9d. yearly from Bonfellow's Charity, as noticed with Kirby-Cane. The income derived from the sources above named amounts to about £99 per annum, which is carried to the churchwarden's account, out of which the poor receive yearly distributions. They have also an annuity of 20s., left by one Packard in 1822, out of a farm belonging to Mr. Tallent.
POST OFFICE at Mr. George Chipperfield's. Letters, viâ Bungay, arrive at 7.35 a.m., and depart at 4.15 p.m.
Barber Frederick blacksmith Brown Mrs Mary Ann victualler, Bird-in-Hand Chatton Benjamin farmer Chipperfield Geo. tailor & postmaster Clarke Wm. farmer, Manor farm Cotton Miss Anne Ntnl. schlmistress Cotton Mr Daniel French Rev. William rector, The Rectory Day, M.A. Fisk Mr Robert Howes James farmer Hubbard Charles stationmaster Kent James parish clerk Kent Saml. grocer & assist. overseer Manning James farmer Manning William farmer Manthorpe Jno. vict. White Horse Inn Pumfrey James grocer Smith Henry landowner, The Hall Smith Thomas miller and merchant, and at Bungay Snowling Frederick farmer, cattle dealer, and butcher Meade Spalding Robert farmer, overseer and surveyor, Home farm Youell Joseph, jun. miller's foreman Youngman Henry miller & corn and coal merchant, & agent, Baly, Sutton & Co.'s manures, farmer & assessor of taxes, overseer, Ellingham mills
RAILWAY STATION (G. E. R.)--Trains to and from Beccles, Bungay, Lowestoft, Norwich, &c. daily; Charles Hubbard, stationmaster
See also the Ellingham parish page.
Copyright © Mike Bristow.