[Transcription copyright © Mike Bristow]
ELLINGHAM, on the north bank of the Waveney, 2 miles E.N.E. of Bungay, and 4 miles S. Loddon, has in its parish 398 souls, and 1302A. of land. John Kerrich, Esq., owns a great part of the soil, and is lord of the manor, but the Hall is the seat of Col. Smith.
The Church (St Mary,) is an ancient fabric, and the living is a rectory, valued in K.B. at £12, and in 1831 at £421, in the patronage of the Master of Magdalen College, Cambridge, and incumbency of the Rev. Rt. Cobb. The glebe is 120A. and the tithes have been commuted. The TOWN LANDS, mostly granted in the 16th century for the payment of tenths and fifteenths, and the relief of the poor, by the wills of Richd. Chamberlain and others, and partly by allotment and exchange, at the enclosure in 1806, consist of about 31A., with two cottages, now let for about £41 a year. The Poor's Allotment, 20A., was awarded at the enclosure, and is now let for £16 per annum. The poor of Ellingham have about £27 yearly from Bonfellow's Charity, as noticed with Kirby-Cane. The income derived from the sources above-named, amount to about £83 per annum, which is carried to the churchwarden's account, out of which the poor receive yearly distributions of about the following amounts, viz.:-- £37 in coals; £9 in bread and flour; £7 10s. in blankets; £1 10s. in tea and sugar; £4 17s. in shillings and sixpences at Easter; and £5 10s. in apprentice fees. They have also an annuity of 20s., left by one Packard, about 1822, out of a farm belonging to Mrs. Talent.
Barber Robert grocer Botwright brickmaker Burstall Robt. miller and coal merchant Cobb Rev. Robert Rectory Gooda John butcher Gordon Alex. vict., Lock House Hall Thos. butcher High Jas. vict., White Horse Nunn brickmaker Smith Colonel Hall Smith Robert millwright, &c. Spanton Wm. blacksmith Ward James vict., Bird-in-Hand farmers. Barwick Wm. Boltitude Jarvis Boon Charles Chase Robert Fisk Anthony (owner) Lynes Joseph (owner) Palmer John Pettit Widow (owner) Read Benj. Walker Robert
See also the Ellingham parish page.
Copyright © Mike Bristow.