Genuki Logo Norfolk Welcome   Contents and Search

Norfolk: Egmere

William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883

EGMERE parish, 3 miles W. of Walsingham, is in Walsingham union, Fakenham county court district, Norwich bankruptcy district, North Greenhoe petty sessional division and hundred, Wells polling district of North Norfolk, Walsingham rural deanery, and Norwich archdeaconry. It had 97 inhabitants in 1881, living on 1150 acres, and has a rateable value of 1466.

Nearly all the parish is occupied by Mr. Tingey, and belonging to the Earl of Leicester, the lord of the manor and patron of the rectory, valued in the King's Book at 8, and is now worth 218 a year, with that of Waterden annexed, in the incumbency of the Rev. A. Napier, vicar of Holkham.

Egmere CHURCH (St. Edmund) has been long in ruins, and was first desecrated by Sir Nicholas Bacon, who turned it into a barn. The tower only remains, and is in a tolerably perfect state.

POST via Walsingham, which is the nearest Money Order Office.

	Tingey   George    farmer, Egmere house

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

See also the Egmere parish page.

Copyright Pat Newby.
September 2001