The CHURCH (All Saints) comprises nave, chancel, south porch, and tower. The latter is round at the base and octagonal above, and contains three bells. The building has been recently restored and refitted by subscription. The screen is handsome and of the Decorated period, having the tracery supported by small circular shafts with capitals and bases; these were originally ornamented with spiral bands of colour. The lower panels have six paintings of saints, now nearly obliterated. There is a piscina in the nave, and near the north door is a stoup-niche.
The living is a rectory, valued in the King's Book at £5. 5s. 2d., in the patronage of the Queen, as Duchess of Lancaster. The Rev. Joseph Lawson Sisson, B.A., is the resident incumbent, and occupies the rectory house. The glebe is 17A. 3R. 34P., and the tithes were commuted in 1840 for £240 per annum.
A SCHOOL BOARD was established in 1875 for the united parishes of Paston and Edingthorpe, and consists of the Rev. J.L. Sisson, B.A. (chairman), the Rev. Thos. J. Cooper, B.A., and Messrs. Thos. Purdy, Matthew Neave, and Thomas S. Bush, Esqrs. Mr. George Hastings, of Knapton, is the clerk. The new school, which is situated in this parish, was built in 1877, at a cost of £1150, to accommodate 80 children.
POST from Norwich, via North Walsham.
Blyth Mrs Ellen schoolmistress Bush Thomas Salmon farmer Fuller Adam farmer Landymore Robert brickmaker Larter Richard blacksmith Neave Isaac farmer and overseer Norgate Henry farmer Pestell William shopkeeper, beerseller, Bartholomew plumber & paintr Plumbly Charles farmer Sisson Rev. Joseph rector, The Rectory Lawson, B.A. Turner William landowner Wiley Francis sexton Withers Francis farmer & carpenter
Copyright © Pat Newby.