EDGEFIELD, nearly 3 miles S. of Holt, is a large scattered parish in Erpingham union, Holt county court district, Norwich bankruptcy district, Holt petty sessional division, Holt polling district of North Norfolk, Holt hundred, Holt rural deanery, and Norwich archdeaconry. It had 476 inhabitants in 1881, living on 2435 acres, and has a rateable value of £3112 11s. 3d., and a gross estimated rental of £3570 2s. 9d.
The parish contains 350A. of heath and plantations, and lies mostly in the manors of Edgefield-with-Ellingham and Edgefield Bacons. Lieutenant-Colonel Marcon is lord of the former, and George Edward Frere, Esq., of the latter. The Dowager Marchioness of Lothian, Mrs. Ballachey, and Messrs. - Purdie, Samuel Bird, William Temple, the Misses Livick, and Mrs. Perry have estates in the parish.
The CHURCH (St. Peter and St. Paul) comprises nave, aisles, north and south porches, and octagonal tower with one bell.The rood stairs and part of the screen still remain, but the paintings which once adorned the latter are much defaced. There is a piscina in the chancel, and another in the south aisle.
The old nave and chancel are being removed to the centre of the parish on land given by the Marchioness of Lothian, and will have eastern vestries and a tower at the north-east end of the chancel. J.D. Sedding, Esq., is the architect. The chancel will be entirely new. As much as possible of the old church will be re-used, except the old tower and south porch, which remain in situ. A new burial-ground is attached to the new church.
The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £11 6s. 8d., is in the patronage of Lieutenant-Colonel Marcon, and incumbency of the Rev. Walter Hubert Marcon, M.A., who has a plain brick residence, a yearly tithe rent-charge of £574, and 16A. 3R. 25P. of glebe.
A School Board was established here in 1877, and consists of the Rev. W.H. Marcon, M.A. (chairman and hon. clerk), T.W. Cronshay (vice-chairman), Corbett Cooke, Robert Taylor, and John G. Stratton. The school was enlarged in 1878 at a cost of £300, and is attended by 96 children.
Here is a Primitive Methodist Chapel.
In 1738, Simon Woodrow charged his land here with the payment of 40s. to five poor widows, and 10s. to the church. The rent of 50A., allotted to the poor at the enclosure in 1815, is distributed in coals to the poor.
POST OFFICE at Mr. R.W.H. Hipper's, the Green. Letters, viâ East Dereham, arrive at 8.15 a.m., and depart at 4 p.m. Melton Constable is the nearest Money Order and Telegraph Office. There is a wall letter-box in the street, cleared at 3.40 p.m.
Bacon William farmer Ballachey Mrs Louisa Margt. the Mount Bosom Dennis farmer Cooke Corbett John farmer Cronshey Mr Thos. Wm. Wood farm Flegg North farmer and victualler, White Horse Inn Gibbons - fmr. & vict. Frere's Arms Inn Hipper Robert William baker, grocer, draper, Henry and postmaster Ives Robert carpenter & wheelwright Livick Winn farmer Marcon Rev. Walter Hubert, M.A. rector, The Rectory Money Thomas blacksmith Pogg Josiah market gardener Potter Thomas farmer Roberts John farmer Sands G. Edward farmer Shreeve Thomas farmer Stratton Augsts. Wm. frmr. & surveyor Stratton John George farmer and guardian Temple James farmer and owner Temple William farmer and owner Wood Oliver board school master Woods Mr Starling Wright James farmer
Copyright © Pat Newby.